[SOLD] 71 Swinger that lost it's TA block somehow-$2500

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Will need to get front tires inflated to get shop jack under and get the motor up some...Since I'm 99% sure it's a 3577130TA block, how would I go about finding the original vin car owner?
Is the grapevine here enough to locate the owner?

I run registries that include all the AARs & Challenger T/As, that is why I asked. If the number matches a registry members car I can put you two in touch with each other. My 'grapevine' is extensive. ;-)

After getting the car up in the air and getting fully filthy I regret to report the nay-sayers were right, it's a 2780930-S.

Anyone know what the S designates?

Now I wonder if I somehow didn't get my own block back in that rebuild, and how it was the "thicker" web skirts were pointed out to me by someone..or why they would want me to think I had something I didn't.
I had no reason to expect such a thing to happen but I cannot argue with what I see today. I can only argue with my memory.
I'll be asking a lower price now for sure, and apolgize for posting with false hopes.

Does anyone know of a case where a switcheroo was pulled on an engine block in a rebuild? Or is that unheard of?

S is could be an 8....
maybe the guys who told you it was something had no clue either...

S is could be an 8....
maybe the guys who told you it was something had no clue either...
Really, this is how you respond?

I expected a little more civility.

I am convinced I was hoodwinked in 1986.

It's the only motor on any of my mopars that I did not build or install myself as I had a job where I had to travel at that time.

Sorry..but many people think they have a TA block cause it has 340-6 in the casting number...Many people think they have TA cylinder heads cause the 71 360 head has the same casting number as the TA head...but are not the same part number nor do they have offset pushrods....cause someone who did not know the difference told them so.....It is what it is.....

Thomas, now that you know what you have I suggest you close this thread and start a fresh thread if you still want to sell it. tmm (moderator)

I was dry-heavin sick the day after I looked at the block. I had been searching Chrysler part numbers for 6 years by the time I bought that engine and could see it was not a regular 6 digit number....
I trust the man who did the R & R, I just think the rebuilder saw a chance and took it.
That said, I'd like to simply retitle the thread based on the discovery and everything being the same, and willing to accept advice on value with plain 340 as described otherwise, with forged steel crank.
I apologize for being a bit testy after finding out the truth after 30 years.

Found 1982 photo. Before 340.Or maybe just after...Trim hasn't gone flat black yet.
71dart~2.jpg

Is the car a dart swinger or swinger special ???

I notice some odd badging here.

The first four digits of the vin number will be LH23 if it's a swinger or the first four of the vin number will be LL23 if it's a swinger special.

Is the car a dart swinger or swinger special ???

I notice some odd badging here.

The first four digits of the vin number will be LH23 if it's a swinger or the first four of the vin number will be LL23 if it's a swinger special.
LH23, I added factory parts at will.
I mounted a GT Sport inside door medallion to the glove box door. From a '69, I think.
Even though I was not keeping it factory, I wanted it to look like something the factory would have produced.
Lost the Swinger designation in 1982 paint.
I wanted it to be a DART, not a Swinger.

Time to mark this thread with a SOLD heading.
Tedmon1971 will be giving this beast new life, and I look forward to seeing it being enjoyed instead if sitting on the sidelines.
20160619_202901.jpg
20160619_202432.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back