71 Swinger virgin question

-

JKelley96

Reaction score
hey guys,
Recently bought first Dodge, not at all familiar with the slant 6, havin problems recently with just keepin it runnin. it'll crank and run as long as your givin it gas, but , let off the gas and it goes dead. all in all a great car, just a new experience for me. wanted input before seeking "professional" help!!! any advice, input is appreciated, thanks

Welcome to the slant 6 world and FABO as you will make many friends here.These are just sugestions..... It sounds like you want to do your own work. Do yourself a big favor and get a factory service manual before anything else you buy for your Dart.You will find them on ebay or new from Bishko books. I am not a big fan of the CD type as you might end up printing the info you want anyway.( I would rather have a book fall of the fender than a lap top.)
Start by looking at the fuel system. Most of the time it is vacuum leaks. Check the carb mount bolts. If it is stock Holley 1 barrel check the fuel bowl screws but do not overtighten them.Go over the other carb screws too.again don't crank down on them too much to cause warpage.Check all your rubber hoses for cracks and possible leaks.
This is just a starting point.Check the intake/exhaust mounting stud nuts to see if any are missing and again do not overtighten as they don't require much torque.
(I can go on and on and others will help out too.)If after you do all the above checks then set the carbs air mixture screw. With the car fully warmed up,engine off turn the mixture screw in till it stops,again do not crank down on it, and back out 1-1/2 turns and see if it will idle.If so continue to turn the screw (while running) 1/4 turn at a time to obtain the smoothest idle (in or out).Again this is just a starting point as it can have many other factors. Sorry for the long post but it's cold and raining out and this is buying me time before the wife kicks me out of the house to go walk the dogs !!!

Please keep us updated with your progress and any problems you run into.
There are lots of shy people here that don't post questions (lurkers) that are in your situation.
Welcome, and thank you for joining FABO!
Getting more enjoyment out of these old cars is what this site is all about!

Welcome to FABO! Do a few searches on your issues here and you should be good to go. Sounds like just some carb issues.

I'm still waitin on the virgin swinger question. Is she hot?

-
Back