71 vs 73 disc brakes

-

kegr2010

Reaction score
Ok guys what is the difference in 71 and 73 A body disc brakes. Bolt pattern I know. Are the other other parts such as control arms and such interchangeable? I bought a 73 340 k member for my six cyl 73 Dart. I got LCA with it. I have access to a 71 dart with disc brakes for parts. Any thoughts. Thanks.

Use front clip off 71 car on your 73....sell 71 small bolt disc brakes(4 piston Kelsey hayes)....enjoy

71 used Kelsey Hayes dual piston calipers. 73+ went to a single larger caliper. I would imagine the dual piston setup is better but they switched to the single caliper since it used less parts and cost less to build. The later setup is much easier to find.

Use front clip off 71 car on your 73....sell 71 small bolt disc brakes(4 piston Kelsey hayes)....enjoy
There's no need to change the "front clip." You can put 73/ later disks on either a drum or early four piston car by changing the upper control arms (larger ball joints), spindles, lower ball joints, calipers and rotors of course and hoses. The later disks are large bolt patter, all of the early 4 piston ones are small bolt pattern

There's no need to change the "front clip." You can put 73/ later disks on either a drum or early four piston car by changing the upper control arms (larger ball joints), spindles, lower ball joints, calipers and rotors of course and hoses. The later disks are large bolt patter, all of the early 4 piston ones are small bolt pattern
71 front clip looks amazing!!

Ok guys what is the difference in 71 and 73 A body disc brakes. Bolt pattern I know. Are the other other parts such as control arms and such interchangeable? I bought a 73 340 k member for my six cyl 73 Dart. I got LCA with it. I have access to a 71 dart with disc brakes for parts. Any thoughts. Thanks.
71 front clip looks amazing!!
Okay, front clip has nothing whatsoever to do with the OP's brake question.
Let's start at the beginning.
You're putting a '73 340 K member in a '73 Dart. I am assuming it is a drum/drum car, since you're looking to convert to discs. A '73 /6 Drum car should be small bolt pattern, and the following is based on that assumption.
Your disc brake parts source is a '71 Dart, also small bolt pattern.
Easiest recommendation is to use the rotors, spindles, calipers (and hoses), and lower balljoints from the '71 (upper and lower control arms should be the same for '71 and the above '73 application, varying only in swaybar mounting points or the lack thereof- but I'm trying to keep things simple here). Also use the '71 disc brake master cylinder and combination valve (and booster assembly if you're going with PDB).
Use your '73 upper and lower control arms, sway bar (if so equipped), tie rods, centerlink, idler arm, pitman and steering box (either power or manual), and strut rods with your '73 340 K frame. There are other combinations of parts that will work, but this is the most straightforward; and utilizes the most parts that you already have.
As an aside, if the '71 parts car is/was a V8, grab the torsion bars, too- they're heavier than your slant 6 units.

Last edited:
71 used Kelsey Hayes dual piston calipers. 73+ went to a single larger caliper. I would imagine the dual piston setup is better but they switched to the single caliper since it used less parts and cost less to build. The later setup is much easier to find.
Thank you.

-
Back