72 340 4sd Duster VIN location

-

SGBARRACUDA

ROY
Legendary Member
Reaction score
So I picked up another A-body, this one a real VS29H2G and I'm trying to locate the VIN number on the trunk edge. Can someone tell me where this is? I found the VIN on the core support and it matches. Would like to find one on the trunk lip.

72 340 4sd duster-2.jpg

It should be under the trunk weather strip. There also will be one under the package shelf stamped into the sheet metal.

Not on either trunk lip.

Look on the rear package tray for the sport roof models.

And......

There is no 'exact' location.

You will find it where it is.

Nice score, Roy. Details please...
:D
Came from a well known hoarder in north Fl. Has a 72 340 in it but not original engine, also has a 68 4speed and shifter in it. Bottom side is solid as a rock. Top side looks like someone started body work and let it sit. Needs a roof. I'll probably be selling it. I'm not able to do body work. Nor will I pay what these body guys charge. KH brakes, P/S,P/DB, 489 3.23 SG 83/4". Engine does run some what. Ran a little bit with gas down the carb.

I believe "G" is St. Louis, MO, USA. That is what the online decoder states.

I have had three to four cars here that were not stamped at all except for part numbers on panels. If the bodies were defective and noticed before they were put into assembly. They were pulled and replaced with a non sequenced body/cab. That is what we did at Mack trucks with the cabs.

I have two Dusters here now one with no numbers at all and one with no rad support number. The package tray number could have been there but the tray was cut out to install a cage.

Last edited:
Look between the driver side speaker hole in package tray and the window channel for the body VIN.

Plant code G is St Louis

Last edited:
I'll give you half of what you paid for it! :rofl:

Rawlins style!

-
Back