72 A833 parts question????

-

Butch67

Reaction score
Hey all,
I have been looking for a A833 for a while, but no rush since the rest of the car was still in the building stage. Now the motor is done and the car is coming along nicely but guess what no transmission yet.
The problem is I found a 72 A833 that needed to be rebuilt or reconditioned. I took it home cleaned the crap off of it and started the disassemble. It came apart rather nicely and the casing appears to be in very good condition. So on to the rebuild stage.
I took all the components down to the local mopar guru and he started going over everything. He suggested replacing many parts but the main problem is both the input shaft and the output shaft have some really big wear marks on them where the needle bearings sit.
Trying to find these shafts has been terrible. I guess they were not many made? It has a 25 tooth gear count that makes it hard to find. He was just at Carylye last weekend and couldn't find either of them. Then he talked to the guys at Brewers and they said they have not been re-manufactured either yet.
Any help would be great.
I am not sure If it would be cheaper to change it over to the older 66-71 style? That would mean changing everything.
Bite the bullet and buy the one I did find, really expensive!!!
Or just move on and buy a different rebuilt one and check it out anyway.
Thanks Butch
:burnout:
View attachment IMG_0592.jpg

View attachment IMG_0597.jpg

View attachment IMG_0599.jpg

... He suggested replacing many parts but the main problem is both the input shaft and the output shaft have some really big wear marks on them where the needle bearings sit.
Trying to find these shafts has been terrible. I guess they were not many made? It has a 25 tooth gear count that makes it hard to find. He was just at Carylye last weekend and couldn't find either of them. Then he talked to the guys at Brewers and they said they have not been re-manufactured either yet...

Are you talking about the Input shaft with the gear and the main shaft? I'm guessing the needle bearing interface between the two? The main shafts are the same from 68 - 74 as long as it is 30 spline and not an O/D. Passon Performance may have an input shaft. That input shaft was used on 70-74 A, B, and E bodies.

https://www.passonperformance.com/component/virtuemart/?page=shop.browse&category_id=28

It looks like Passon Performance or Brewers Performance can recondition your input shaft. Give them a call.

Yes it is the input and main shaft that are damaged.
Both shafts have the same kind of damage.
I don't know about passon, but brewers cannot fix the end where the needle bearings sit on the shaft.
My friend was down at carlyle last weekend and took the shafts there to see them. They are not able to fix the ends where the needle bearings sit. That is straight from brewers themselves.
They also don't carry any of this style shafts at this time.
I will call passon later today.
Thanks.

I used to get those surfaces spray-welded and machined down to spec. Had many done that way. No failures. Machine-shop work. Cheap repair.

Ima guessing that damage was caused by a misalignment of the center-lines between the crank and the trans.It would be a very good idea to check yours before installing any trans.

I recommend Brewers. I have bought parts, clutches, and called with technical questions and they have been excellent to deal with. I visit them every year at the Nats too. Great family business. I have visited with Passion also. Their products are top notch too. Can't go wrong with either one. tmm

-
Back