72 Dart Swinger Full Resto or DD Project?

-

skokz

Reaction score
First dart bought from friend that let it sit for 5 years. Had bent control arm and broken strut rod. Here pics from day towed it home. Did tune-up and started right up.
DSCF0158.jpg

DSCF0159.jpg

After tune-up, finally got new control arm and a strut rod. Replaced both ball joints, bushings and shock on passenger side. Still have to do driver's side.

Was out of town for birthday/christmas and The dart lost a fight with local garbage truck. Hit passenger front all the way to rear. Link to pics of damage.

http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/skokz/1st Dart/

Finally found a parts car or might fix it haven't decided. So now have two darts no garage. Here are pics of the parts car I picked up. Says he is a member here but did not find it for sale here. Pics of parts car.

http://s128.photobucket.com/albums/p172/skokz/2nd dart/

Figure since it was nice outside finally. Figure I would go crank up car and drive it around block since it been sitting since thanksgiving. That last time I drove it.

First battery was dead left it unhooked and was still dead. Tried jumping it nothing. So went and got two used batteries for $50.
Finally cranks up.

Then one front tire was flat and other was almost flat. Will be happy when rims get here so can get some new tires. Got some air in the air shocks. Atleast they still hold air that surpised me.

After all this and finally get to drive it. Go down the street and brakes go all the way to the floor and slowly and mean really slowly comes to a stop. Atleast never went faster 20-25 since been so look since last time driving it.

When pull back into driveway look down at oil guage. Just idling oil pressure was between 0-10. Oil level was good. Guess it good time to put together spare 318 have in garage.

Hopefully if weather does not change will finally get the roof back down to primer. Rusted look is real eye sore.
Have some brand new rear side marker lights coming.

Will have before and after pics of the roof this sunday. Figure I would throw 2 more pics up here.
dash-dart003.jpg

dash-dart002.jpg

Here some new pics from this weekend. Did some work to the roof. Got rid of the flaking rust. Thanks toby with doing the bodywork.
weekendprogress001.jpg

weekendprogress002.jpg

weekendprogress005.jpg

weekendprogress006.jpg

Still got more to do but it's a start. After roof will be going to the quater panels next.
weekendprogress003-1.jpg

Got some new rear side marker lights. Both of the old ones where broken.
weekendprogress004.jpg

Got some wheels in today. There used but got a good deal.
weekendprogress009.jpg

Here pics of new mc. Mc fits number of c-body and vans.
weekendprogress007.jpg

weekendprogress008.jpg

Finally went and got me a 4 door. 74 318 ps, disc brake and ac. All ac parts intact and still there. Everything works on car even the am/fm radio. Needs ivr for the dash and a new ac condensor. Runs and drives and owner even filled up gas tank so could drive her home.
DSCF0472.jpg

DSCF0471.jpg

DSCF0470.jpg

DSCF0469.jpg

DSCF0468.jpg

Drive it. Fix as you go........as far as a resto...nah, do a more rare car, if you can.

Looks like you saved one there. I would recommend getting it out of the weather before it grows any more moss. LOL. Keep us updated.

Finally got around to putting on better door that wasn't beatin up by truck.
Had to replace hood hinge without a extra pair of hands will see in pics how pulled that one off.
Before Pic with old hood hinge and banged up door.
DSCF0477.jpg

DSCF0478.jpg

Pic of fender, door and hood hinge off with hood up.
DSCF0481.jpg

DSCF0480.jpg

Now to hold hood up, hooked chained to front of hood and then block of wood under hood near windshield and bungee strap to one of holes for fender.

DSCF0483.jpg

DSCF0484.jpg

New door and pic of door and fender back on.
DSCF0479.jpg

DSCF0485.jpg

Door, fender and hood still need lined up but can only do so much yourself

Keep knocking it out!
Your getting there.
So... The Sedan gonna be driver or parts?
If parts.... how much for the Grill and Bezels?
and of course... the Discs and Rear will go into the '72........

Later,
Bruce B.

Keep knocking it out!
Your getting there.
So... The Sedan gonna be driver or parts?
If parts.... how much for the Grill and Bezels?
and of course... the Discs and Rear will go into the '72........

Later,
Bruce B.

Right now the sedan is a driver. Runs to good and I can't bring myself to tear it apart. Oh I know the discs and rear will go into my 72 I think about it everytime I look at it. I would sell the sedan and go with scarebird setup for disc brakes and build my 8 3/4 that I trip over in garage.

Looking good. Do you plan on driving while you do body work? That's what I do.

I would drive it while doing bodywork if it was legal. I still need upper and lower bj on driver side and adjust brakes it pulls hard to right when get on brakes. Still need tires for it front they are wrong size just put what ever had laying around to move it around and back tires are so bald they spin in yard even if not wet outside. It might get drivin legally this year.

8 3/4 that I trip over in garage........ well quit triping over it and send it to me and I'll put it in my scamp:-D looking good tho, and nice find on the 4 door

8 3/4 that I trip over in garage........ well quit triping over it and send it to me and I'll put it in my scamp:-D looking good tho, and nice find on the 4 door

I plan to keep on triping over it for awhile. I might get a chance to get another 8 3/4. So I'll have two laying around then.
That 4 door is for sale now also. There's ad for it in classified section.

My first car was a '72 Swinger ( LH23G2B ) which I bought in 1989 for $800 . It had a 318/904 and that pile-of-sh*t 7.25" diff ; was EV2 Hemi Orange ( factory-applied ; unusual for a non-perf model to have a Hi-Impact colour , especially in '72 ! ) .

I built the motor with the top end from a 360 two bbl with a carb from a 400 two bbl
( to simplify those irritating emissions' test ; thank God all '75 & earlier cars are now exempt !! ) ; the 904 received a Trans-Go TF-1 reprogrammer , Kevlar bands , h.d. clutches , deep pan and Type-F ; that 110% worthless 7.25" diff hit the trash in favour of an 8.25" from a '74 Duster 360 with 3.21's & Sure Grip ; disc brakes from the same Duster ( got rid of those for-the-time-impossible-to-find-parts-for 4 piston KH
calipres ! ) .

The white vinyle top was scrapped for two reasons :

1. Beautiful rust around the backlight ( yes , California cars DO rust !! ) ;
2. It was torn-away from the 'C' pillar trim

I simply painted the roof in gloss rattle can white , after smoothing-over the crappy factory-applied filler ( where the roof's welded to the 'C' pillar ) .

Wheels were from a 1975 Coronet wagon ( ex-Fire Dept car ) which were 15x7" , without the sought-after '78 - '89 'vented' police wheels , and junk yard find '69 - '74 Dodge hub caps ; tyres were -- iirc -- 225 70-15 .

A factory AM/FM radio replaced the original AM ( I absolutely HATE butchering dashes for after market receivers !! ) .

The 1972 Dart / Demon has -- imo -- the best looking grille design .

I certainly miss my beloved '72 . I had to sell it 11 years ago due to medical problems
( I've since recovered ) ; its replacement is a 1972 Coronet , which is my daily driver , and will eventually be built to "A38" ( police package spec ) standards ( Certified 120 mph speedo , rubber mats , etc. ) .

Please continue to keep us posted on the progress of your '72 !
Personally , I'd like to see a "day 2" resto ( Cragar S/S wheels , S/W tach , etc. ,
etc. ) , but with modern engine internals , suspension upgrades , tyres , etc.
But , it's YOUR car . Do as YOU please with it :)

Haven't done anything to neither of my girls. I have been out of town since the last time I updated this. (Helping family friend)
I figure I would share some pics of the newest toy to the collection of cars I'm starting. Well it's not a mopar but I think it's cool. Its a 73 toronado with a 455.

347.jpg

349.jpg

354.jpg

352.jpg

346.jpg

Well since I was bored today. I finally decided to pull the 8.25 from my 74.
16 bolts, one brake line and two parking cables later had it ready to roll out.
DSCF0725.jpg

DSCF0726.jpg

When you have two cars to work on and only one pair of jackstands. What else time to find some wood.

DSCF0727.jpg

DSCF0728.jpg

Dart231.jpg

8.25 waiting to go into the '72.

Anyone ever heard of leaf springs that have JRS painted on them.
Dart228.jpg

Here guessing maybe part number. Wondering what brand might be. Like to know what parts I have and where they came from.
Dart230.jpg

Dart229.jpg

Dart227.jpg

Aloha002.jpg

Last pic and update for this car, so long u temperamental psycho. :bootysha:

-
Back