72 Dart Swinger Wheels

-

APK

Reaction score
I just purchased a 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger on ebay and it came with Cragar wheels on P235/60 R15 tires. Drove it today for the first time since it was delivered. The right rear tire is hits the wheel well on right hand turns and peeling the sidewall. The appears to be more clearance on the drivers side rear than the passenger side.

So I am looking to replace these with the factory raylle wheels and new tires. Can you help tell me which ones I need? I found these on yearone.com and they are stated to be for 1972. Are these the correct ones?

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?cat=1

Thanks for you response.

I just purchased a 1972 Dodge Dart Swinger on ebay and it came with Cragar wheels on P235/60 R15 tires. Drove it today for the first time since it was delivered. The right rear tire is hits the wheel well on right hand turns and peeling the sidewall. The appears to be more clearance on the drivers side rear than the passenger side.

So I am looking to replace these with the factory raylle wheels and new tires. Can you help tell me which ones I need? I found these on yearone.com and they are stated to be for 1972. Are these the correct ones?

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/fbshopmain2.asp?cat=1

Thanks for you response.

I think before you go out and buy wheels and tires you should be checking the rear end alignment, something doesn't sound right.:???:

I think you'll find that the rear can be moved in it's position just a tad.

You will find that the driveline in Chrysler cars is shifted to the right a tad from the factory.
The rear axle does not fit pefectly center in the wheel housing.
The passenger side tire will be closer to the fender lip.

Measure the backspace of your Cragers. This will give you a better idea of where your at. Cant remember what the backspace is on a set of factory small bolt Rallyes, hopefully someone will chime in with that.

From what I was told that this car is orginal, no 1/4 panels have been replaced. There is a lip, but I think there is suppose to be to mount the optional chrome trim. There is good space on the drivers side but I don't I give any of that to the passenger side without moving the problem to the other or both sides. A quick little measuring, trying to be at the same location on both wheel wells, there is a 1" clearance on the drivers side and 7/8" on the passenger side.

Will doing an alignmemt help?

Will replacing the wheels and R60 tires with 15 x7 wheels and R70 tires to solve this problem?

Loosen the U-bolts on the rear and shove the rear over and then retighten the U-bolts.

A Co-worker told me about this website that has a Tire Size Calculator. This shows me that the current tires on the Dart (235/60R15) are too large and what I should have on is 205/70R14 to achieve the proper clearance. So I am going to replace all four tires and wheels.

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

Allowable Tire Sizes 1972 Dart Operators Manual
D78-14
E70-14

Tire Size Calculator
195/75R14 (Approx Factory Tire) Section Width 7.67 in
235/60R15 (Currently on Dart) Section Width 9.25
205/70R14 (Replacement Tire) Section Width 8.07 -which meets the allowable size of E70-14 and provides proper clearance on a stock vehicle.

A sagging leaf spring or torsion bar could be the problem too.
A 205/14 radial will be close as you get to the bias ply tires that came on the car. Radial have wider and softer sidewalls though so it still wouldn't be perfect. My 67 rides much better on 215/75/14.
If you are bound to buy wheels double check the bolt pattern beforehand . May be 5 on 4 inch circle or 5 on 4.5 inch circle.
Good luck

There is not enough off-set in your Cragers for the 235's, thats why your rubbing.

If you got a set of factory Rallyes, they would have the correct off-set for your 235's.

Here is a Dart with factory 15x7 steelies and 235/60-15's all around.
Theres plenty of room in the back, could even go 245.

You keep mentioning 14's and 15's.
Is your car big or small bolt pattern ?

Attachments

• IMAG0004.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 1,323
As mentioned, it's the wheel not the tire causing your clearance issues.

Look under the car and see how much distance you have from the tire to leaf spring. If you have a significant distance, more backspace will move the tire away from your wheelwell lip.

245/60/14 on a stock 5.5 Rallye wheel. Never rubs anyhting

exh3.jpg

Here are some photos. I like the 15's but I can't run with the current setup. I wanted to go with the factory Rallyes to get the factory look. I stated going to the 14's because that is what it came with from the factory I can pickup almost an 1 1/4" by going from the 235/60R15 to 205/70R14. I am open to any suggestions. Thanks for all that have responded so far.

Attachments

• 1972Dart4.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 1,579
  • dart wheels 001a.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 1,244
  • dart wheels 002b.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 1,141
  • Tires.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 1,293
How wide are the wheels? If at least 7" wide do you want to sell them? Are they 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern? Must be excellent condition. I'm looking to buy 15x7 SS's. Let me know. Send pics and asking price.

-
Back