72 demon 340 needs a new carb! strong opinion or suggestion?

-

killbilly340

Reaction score
I have a 72 demon with an original 340. I drive it all the time, I'll be honest. I'm a fan, not an expert! The car started stalling randomly, and long story short, the guy says the carb body is warped, causing a vacuum leak, and I need to replace the whole thing. He said he didn't know where to get another clean thermoquad, and recommended I get an aftermarket. I kind of like the idea of keeping it stock/original, but at the end of the day I just want it to drive good!

So does anyone have any opinion about what the best carb would be to put on this thing? Edelbrock? Holley? And which one? Or the new Demon Carburetion carb?? I don't race it or anything, just drive around the city, and maybe show off once in a while at the light. But I want something that is geared toward aggressive street use, not strip use.

If you know about these things and have a strong opinion about it, I'd be grateful to hear it. THANKS!

............I'm not sure if demonsizzler is still doing carbs yet, he is a member on here........do not get rid of ur original carb........kim........

I have a 850 Thermoquad Demon Sizzler did for me, Its all done and never used it. $250.00 + Shipping. It cost me 200 + the shipping to his house.

Thanks, Dan. Yeah it looks like Demon Sizzler quit doing them. But I think the correct thermoquad for the 72 demon (TQ 6139S) is more like 650 cfm, from the google-ing I did. I'm not sure what affect it would have to swap for a 850, but I'd rather not adversely affect the gas mileage since I've been happy with the performance with the stock carb anyway. thoughts? am i wrong?

and does anyone have an opinion re: aftermarket replacements if I can't find a rebuilt thermoquad that's the correct one for this car?

thanks!!

Thanks, Dan. Yeah it looks like Demon Sizzler quit doing them. But I think the correct thermoquad for the 72 demon (TQ 6139S) is more like 650 cfm, from the google-ing I did. I'm not sure what affect it would have to swap for a 850, but I'd rather not adversely affect the gas mileage since I've been happy with the performance with the stock carb anyway. thoughts? am i wrong?

and does anyone have an opinion re: aftermarket replacements if I can't find a rebuilt thermoquad that's the correct one for this car?

thanks!!
He built this for my 340, He wanted the specs on my engine before he started. My 340 is stock for the most part. But thats up to you. The primarys are still 200 cfm if im correct.

oh okay. just so i understand was it the same carb that would have come with the 340? I mean would it be considered a stock rebuild? or was it larger, but he was suggesting it would be a good upgrade for the 340? I might be interested, just making sure I understand correctly, thanks!

There is a new carb coming out that strongly resembles a T-quad i think its about 650cfm, cant recall the manufacturer.

if it were mine I'd go with a holley 670 street avenger, with electric choke....they run great! I have a 770 street avenger on my 71 duster 340 with a mildily built engine, and I'm very pleased with it.

oh.but you'd probably need an adapter? spacer to square bore instead od spread bore

The plastic body is very easily repaired with some fine emery cloth and a FLAT surface. There's really nothing to it.

I never heard of a Thermoquad rated less than 850 CFM. No way would I replace one with a Holley given a choice.
So I wonder what the OP did for a carburetor? Did he rebuild his old one? Or did he buy that one offered by 4404spd, which was probably the best choice of all for his situation actually?

-
Back