72 demon 340 number matching drevetrain

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
"wow guys. i def found the right place to post. and to beepah i'm sorry. 3k is def too low. the problem with a fender tag is that it's gone. as i said it was a racer. i will get the pic of the k-member as soon as i can. the rear has 4.11's and suregriip. so from what i've heard it's time to find a honda. ugh. rice! lol but i will try. the problem is if the car goes into storage it has to go out side. dad's garage.... more trouble. and you guys are right eventually it will need total resto. Thanks FABO guys."

Lilldemonkid ~~~ Sounds like your one of the few who "got it" when the board was trying to give you advice. So kudos to you for being mature enough to take. If the car cant's stay in Dad's garage then at least get it covered. In a pinch go to home Depot and get a huge blue tarp and find some brinks you can get it covered asap for under $40, then save up for a PREMIUM cover like backtobasics recommended....Also if you plan to advertise it, don't advertise it as original matching numbers drive train, since your missing / altered enough of it that its not and original numbers drive train anymore to someone shopping for originality....

Hey Kid: Let us know if you need any help or parts. Lots of good advice here and i respect you for your ability to ask for help. Most kids at your age already know it all but it takes wisdom to realize there is a lot of info out there from old farts for just the asking. Let us know when you need something.
Small Block your friend

Hey small block, why do you want to see K member...just to see if it correct for the year..or is their any other reason???????I have a 70 340 duster that i have had since 93...what about some washer that is suppose to be their and where??????? Just curiouse

OldDart,I think your wrong on the bronco being more sought after than Demons??Give me a break,how many years did they make the Bronco?How many years did they make the Demon?Demon hands down!!My 2 cents!!

hey blu

sorry i was think duster when i posted that for some reason
and btw the duster and the early first gen broncs are the same for years made (demon was 71,72 ,bronco was 66,67; in 68 they redid alot of the truck but the demon is a worth little more still)
in all honesty its just going to be one of those having to wait for the right buyer things

Hey Kid,

The best thing to do for shelter for your Demon is to buy one of those portable garages. It is basically a hoop framework made of steel conduit covered with a heavy duty tarp with tarps for the back and for a zippered door. I have had my 51 Wayfarer convertible in one along with a ton of parts for about 10 years now and have had no trouble with leaks or any other kind of issues. Before you park the car in it though place sheets of cardboard down on the ground where the car will sit. This will help keep moisture at bay from the ground. When choosing a spot for the garage, try to find a place where it will be protected from wind and other inclement weather and you will be set.

As others have already done I want to compliment you on you maturity and ability to listen and consider all of our suggestions. You have a good Demon there (one of my favorite Mopars by the way)and I think you need to hang on to it as you will surely regret selling it later when you are more financially able to restore it.

Welcome to FABO!
Joe

ok. sorry this is talking so long. i''ve been working hard. so i checked the k-member. it does have the welded washer to it. sadly my camera would finally chose the day i need it to crap out. lol. but thre is the bolt. and that's a pretty cool ID piece. didn't know that one. and as for the me keeping my cool i've been around this criticism and the wisdom for years just never like this. thanks so much guys.

I am pretty sure that car was up around the Buffalo NY area a few years back. I looked at it when it was for sale. The rebuilt motor was done at a local shop. The missing fender tag and lack of broadcast sheet really hurt as to say what really came on the car and how to restore it properly.

It has severe rust issues as can be seen down the rockers, wheel lips, and deck lid as shown in the pictures. Without a fender tag, I'd be hard pressed to do a complete restoration. I see the car as a 6-8k driver to the right person.

You seem like a good kid and have taken this post in a mature way, good luck.

Hey Kid: That washer on the front of the K member will indicate that it was a 340 car if it's the original member and hasn't been swapped in from another car. That would be an E55 on the first entry on the bottom line of your fender tag. That's a start. Have ya found any build sheet anywhere in the car?

yes the car was in buffalo a few years back and it does have rust. it's 36 years old and was in new york for gods sake. but the underside of the car is solid. and as far as looking for the build sheet i haven't been able to yet. if i don't find it i will call the guy i bought it from and see if he has it. he still is looking for other things that go for the car. (he's a bit of a mess if ya know what i mean)

If any way KEEP the car Kid! I sold a 72 charger that i put alot of time and money in when my wife got pregnant with our son. Did not have to just sort of freaked out at the time. Things you could find 10 years ago just are gone now and its not getting any easier.I had that charger since I was 14 years old and had collected parts for years. Find you another daily driver and keep it to restore one day you will not regret it!
Matt

Who said buy a Honda? Unless they are totally beat down or you find a screaming deal, they aren't cheap. Look for a Saturn SL1 or SL2 in the hands of an adult. Heck, take a gander over at the Saturn wagons, too.

did you check behind or on top of the glove box for the build sheet.....Sorry if someone already ask this

I have found build sheets behind the rear seat springs, behind the rear side panels, under the front seat springs, and i've heard some have found em above the glove box. If ya got that you're good to go. Keep us posted. Mice and rats love those things. Tastes like peanut butter to em.....i guess LOL

Some places I have found build sheets before are: under the rear seat springs, behind the seat backs (bucket seat cars), taped to the glove box liner, under the carpet, in the headliner, and under the rear package tray.

it's alittle too small to see - is that based on a RESTORED car? Big difference.

NADA is usually behind the curve in determining value for Mopars. It's pretty much what the market will bear. Man, that's going to be a lot of sheet metal work not to mention what the floors, trunk floor and subframe looks like. If you have a solid data plate it's worth something but not what you are probably wanting to get. Maybe your best bet is to find someone wanting a restoration project that has something they are willing to trade. i buy and sell cars that are not quite that condition and it sometimes baffles me sometimes on what people think their car is worth. Watching too much Barret Jackson.

dart 4 dart , your starting a whole new thread on gold plated cars.

hey guys thanks. still no build sheet. i'll try behind the glove box. but i keep getting people saying the floors are gone. they're actually solid. the trunk has a couple holes but that's it. the rust is only on the outside body panels. thanks for all the help again guys. i appreciate it.

I have a 72 (numbers matching 3 speed) also in much better shape but also paid too much for it. If you really like the car-keep it, get the tarp, cover whatever you have too to keep it DRY. I used to live in Huntersville so the weathers is more favorable than some areas you could be in. Once you start tearing into that car the rust WILL most likely be worst than you see-its usually the way. Replacing qtrs trunks etc then paint etc will be BIG BUCKS. Keep it or take the loss. if you keep it make sure no critters get into it -Use moth balls under the hood or something to keep 'em out. I for one have sold at least 3 cars I have regretted selling (as we all have), so keep that in mind. Demon 340's are rare and will be more so in years to come. And yes the guys here are tops! Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

well good news and bad news guys. the steering failed on me the other day. luckily i was in a parking lot. i have a old box that i'm going to replace it with. this is one of the reasons i want to sell it to someone who can restore it and do it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back