72 demon A/C electrical help

-

mikes67

Reaction score
I have finally started my 72 dodge demon resto after years of storage and putting it off. it is a factory A/c car I took the motor and dash out today and noticed there was no wiring to plug into the A/C compressor, and also in the dash there is a selector switch vacuum pod with lines and a 5 prong plug but nothing pluged in it and nothing that I found in the harness that would go to it. on the evap box it looks like a resistor or fan speed control with no wiring to it. this is my first mopar resto so my question is is there a harness that is missing that is separate from the dash harness or has someone changed the harness in the past. any help would be appreciated thanks

the resistors are mounted in the case to keep them cool. Those create the various fan speeds . The fan switch selects the resistors so the wiring does go "from to" with or without a/c. There are differences though since non a/c wouldn't have the vacuum/electrical switch block. You'll need the correct harness. 73 and later is different, 67 is different. I don't know 68 through 72 are the same.
That's all I do and don't know. Hope it helps

Yes it sounds like part of the harness is missing; there should be a 2 pin connector to the 5 position electrical/vacuum switch for the blower AND a 2nd piggyback switch on the back of that switch assy for the compressor with a couple more wires. Not sure if this is totally separate from the main harness or not.

Look at the left hand side of page 290 in the Classic Industires Mopar catalog to see what the correct switch looks like.

Thanks for your help I will look at classic industries, I thought there had to be a harness missing due to no wiring to heater switch , blower motor , and A/C compressor.

just wanted to say thank you for pointing me in the right direction, when I got home I inspected my dash harness and found 2 plugs that would be used for the heating and A/C harness now just locating them but thanks again mike

Cool; gald it was already there; makes life easier.

Keep and eye on the blower switch inside the haet/cool selector. In fact, if you are under the dash, inspect this switch for any signs of heat and distortion on the plastic body. The blower draws a LOT of amps running on high, and the switch contacts for the blower inside of this assembly can get corroded and then they will heat up, warp the body all to heck, and fail. There is a good sticky at the top of this sub-forum on that.

-
Back