72 Demon disc brake swap

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I know, I know, I know, it has already been talked about LOL, I am converting over. Bought spindles ect from a 73-76 dart. My car has factory sway bar not thru the kframe. Am I understanding, I need to swap sides with the spindles so the calipers face the rear? My center link has holes which are 90 degrees apart. When I install the inner and outer, I placed the outer with the nut under the bottom. On the inner, which actually sits 90 degrees to the ground I placed the nut toward the rear of the car? Lastly, how are the brake lines routed and fastened when I install the calipers facing the rear? Does anybody here have a nice clear picture of a 71-72 conversion all done for references? I see a lot of 67-69 but having a hard time finding a 71-72 picture. Thanks

I know, I know, I know, it has already been talked about LOL, I am converting over. Bought spindles ect from a 73-76 dart. My car has factory sway bar not thru the kframe. Am I understanding, I need to swap sides with the spindles so the calipers face the rear? My center link has holes which are 90 degrees apart. When I install the inner and outer, I placed the outer with the nut under the bottom. On the inner, which actually sits 90 degrees to the ground I placed the nut toward the rear of the car? Lastly, how are the brake lines routed and fastened when I install the calipers facing the rear? Does anybody here have a nice clear picture of a 71-72 conversion all done for references? I see a lot of 67-69 but having a hard time finding a 71-72 picture. Thanks

Other than the pitman arm and the 90* angle change on the center link the 68 and 69 change over is the same as yours if you are not swapping K frames. 67 is the same as the 68 and 69 but the idler arm mounts different. I don't recall what brake lines were used but I am thinking it was Volare or Cordoba but I am not positive.

yes...the drag link hole is tapered....went you install the tie rod end..it should go in further one way then the other..and it points towards the rear with a 70-71 drag link,

The calipers do NOT need to be rear-mounted. You can shorten the end links to clear the calipers, too.

The calipers do NOT need to be rear-mounted. You can shorten the end links to clear the calipers, too.

About how much do they need to be shortened? What would that do to the sway bar function? Is this a better way to install regarding the brake line hoses also? Thanks

The sway bar seems to react quicker (we removed the spacer between the bushings). We've put cars together with front or rear mounted and the brakes feel the same. I like the Aspen/Volare hoses with front mounted. I think we used the A-body hoses with rear mounted.

Jim I am looking at shortening the sway bar end links instead of swapping calipers to the rear. It looks like I need to cut about 1.5" off the end link. Does that jive with what you have done in the past? I'd like to keep all the bushings (poly type) if that matters.

I found a kit from Prothane that will do the trick. PN 19-402-BL.

-
Back