72 duster Build progress

-
Hey Great build so far. I plan on going the same route with the 69 grille. Those acura seats look awesome to. Ever think about swapping the rear seat in as well? I really like the build and am looking forward to more progress.

-Joe

AWESOME. This car looks sharp and VERY comfortable (good for when you decide you hate those 4.56's, switch pumkins, and get her out on the open road.:toothy10:)

Good work and Happy Holidays!
thanks!

Hey DusterDude72,love your thread.I'm gonna try the insulation you used on your floor's for my 72 Twister,did you use that under the package tray.Also which type of primer and paint you use for the inside of your door's?Spray gun or can.Keep up the great work,it's looking great.

I have not installed the package tray yet BUT yes I will be using it, floors,sealing,package tray....only thing I did not do that I may do later is under door panels. as for primer I used a duplicolor primer (not a spray can) and for the paint I used a a oil based semi gloss for doors and sail panels and such a and a satin for the dash.

Hey Great build so far. I plan on going the same route with the 69 grille. Those acura seats look awesome to. Ever think about swapping the rear seat in as well? I really like the build and am looking forward to more progress.

-Joe
I love the 69 grille in these cars, not many people know you can do it and not many people have done it so its a good way to stand out in the crowd...not to mention I like the looks of it much more than a factory duster grilel and (personally) more so than a shark tooth grille even. plus its all metal so no worries of busted plastic fins and what not.

and yes the seats are EXTREMELY comfortable, loved them.

I thought about doing the rear seat....but its hard finding these seats and I am not exactly sure how well they would fit and really dont want to mess with it....so for now I will just have a black back seat and maybe in the future think of having it recovered to match or maybe custom fit an acurras back seat into it....time will tell

AWESOME. This car looks sharp and VERY comfortable (good for when you decide you hate those 4.56's, switch pumkins, and get her out on the open road.:toothy10:)

thank you. I think the 4.56 gear set will do just fine,more so with my tire combo I have in conjunction with the gear set . I do all back roads driving....normally no faster than 55mph but I just like to cruise....an occasional visit to a strip now and then.....but we will see, might have to take it down a few sizes to tweak it to exactly how I want it.

I have been missing my build thread and have not had any activity on it from anyone in awhile so I figured I would drop a note to let everyone know where things are at.

well.....

not much further than it was lol

just trying to hold out for the weather to get a little better before I get back at it.

I went out one day and striped paint off of one fender and some of the hood and that night came down with a cold lol so I have been trying to avoid working on the duster as I would prefer to not sneeze and cough after working on it lol.

BUT soon I will be getting back on the ball.

I will be ordering some body panels soon and probably my windshield and a few odds and ends.

then I can get back to work and strip all the old paint off the duster and cut out the old panels and weld in the new and smooth everything off with some filler and prime it. and then it will be basically a running driving half way presentable vehicle lol.

and then I hope to have paint on it before summer is over but if it has to wait...no big deal....the biggest thing was I wanted to get the metal work/body work done and out of the way,the interior work done and out of the way and the mechanical work done and out of the way.

and I have got alot accomplished thus far.

the interior still needs some buttoning up but it is probably ....ohhhhhhh...80-85% done.

the mechanical aspects are done other than a few small things like a kick down cable and a I have a leaking trans line fitting I think and I need a speedo gear ...so I would say it is around 95%ish done.

right now I would say the bodywork is 20%ish done.....once I replace my panels and smooth everything off and prime it ,I would say its 70% done. And once I paint it I would say its about 90% done and once I put my stripes on and do a few odds and ends I will be pretty close to the 100% done mark body wise.

been at the project going on 2 years now.....granted both winters ...progress has pretty much came to a stand still.
It has a little ways to go still but it has also came a long ways also ...so I am proud of it.

and I do not mind if it takes another year to FULLY complete the project (paint and all the go fast goodies I would like to do....and I would eventually like to build a 340 for it).....but my goal for it is to atleast be able to have it a running and driving car this year.

anyhow.....I just wanted everyone to know I still have the duster and that I am still planning on working on it....just waiting for the weather to make it easier on me lol.

thanks to those who have followed my thread and to those of you just seeing it.....read the thread from the beginning to see alot of neat things that have been done and to see some good "how to's" and get some ideas for your own project. and let me know what you think.

Hey question for you. Did/should you put barrier paper behind your sail panels?

I have yet to make/install my sail panels ...BUT when I do I will probably put some insulation behind them just for the heck of it.

is it absolutely needed....NO, will it make a huge difference in noise and temperature control,probably not.

But what the heck...why not lol.

I plan on putting the insulation that I used on my floor and on my ceiling....behind my sail panels,behind my door panels and under my package tray....just so I know its there I guess lol.

Sounds Great I can't wait to see it done but then again I know you can't either, I'm still watching and learning just wish I had the gumption, and tools you all have, then I could start a thread. lol

Brad

DUDE.....if I may say WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think I speak for so many others here that wish we had the time, and dedicated space to do a complete restoration as you have. What an Acomplishment! I have a thought for ya... Have you ever thought about opening your own business on "A" body restorations... I bet you could stay pretty busy.... So many of us dont have the time or ability to just sit down and have patience just to let the paint dry before we try to do something else.. I'm totally impressed by your meticulous attention to detail.... My hats off to ya.. GREAT JOB....!
Tim

^ What that guy said :thumleft: =D>

your fragility and ability to work very well with what you can manage to get your hands on is impressive too. keep setting the bar
:usa2:

Hey guys THANKS!!!

to be honest.....I love doing the work......but It would get pretty old pretty quick doing it day in and day out on everyone elses cars lol.

doing things the way I do tend to drain ya down HAHA.

some might call me "cheap"? I guess I consider myself a recycler maybe.

I just think that cheap parts can be made to look like great parts, it all just a matter of putting the time and effort into them.

I have put alot of time and effort into the duster yet and I still am not at the finish line .....BUT when its done....I can say that I did it myself and that I didnt have to get a $15,000.00 bank loan or something to make it all happen. and the end result will be that it is still worth every bit of what the guy who did get a $15,000.00 loan to finish his car is.

If I were building the car to sell it I would not have done half the things I have done......I would have put very little detail into anything, it would still be column shifted, the ending would have been painted 1 color and tossed in,engine bay would have been black....and I would have tossed it together real quick.

But I am building it for me so its going to be my way and the way I like it lol.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate the kind words...nice to hear good feedback on it after what I have been through to get it to the point it is at.

I just hope maybe I have been able to spwan a few ideas in to some other peoples heads.

I will be making progress soon!!!!

first let me say........I picked up a chevy truck about a month ago and ended up taking the carb off the duster and put on it and then sold the truck.

So yesterday I put a holley 750 race carb on the duster as a temorary replacement....eventually I will either get a 650 eddy for it or I love holley 670 street avengers so I may go that route.

that aside......

I FINALLY got the cash for some metal!!! so a week or two ago I got in contact with Kevin King (president of year one) and he remembered me from winning the young guns contest in Mopar Muscle Mag....and he got me some pretty good prices on some of what I was needing so I put it all on order.

I order both passenger and drivers side rear quarter panel patches and I ordered my new tail panel.

My trunk drop extension panels and end caps and the filler panel below the tail panel could use a little attention also but I am going to fab those up myself out of sheet metal rather than spend the money on prefabbed ones when its not exactly necessary.

so I am still waiting on my parts to show up and the new flanging tool I ordered ....then I can get started on it and get the body work done and out of the way.

in the mean time ,I am swapping in a new motor in my 99 f150 daily driver pick up .....got the truck dirt cheap with a knocking engine.

I am not sure that I will have the duster "done" this year but I will try to get a bunch done on it so basically all that will be left to do to it will be paint and odds and ends here and there....all depends on cash flow.

but within the month I should be updating this thread again on a more regular basis and I will be posting LOTS OF PICTURES AGAIN!!!!!!

so stay tuned guys!!!

well ....all my metal showed up finally!

BUT, hit a little snag.....one of the panels had a flaw in it so now I am waiting on a new panel to ship to me....should be here by the end of the week.

Im itching to get some stuff done lol

well ....all my metal showed up finally!

BUT, hit a little snag.....one of the panels had a flaw in it so now I am waiting on a new panel to ship to me....should be here by the end of the week.

Im itching to get some stuff done lol
bummer on the ding! been there too! get us some fresh pics up. you know how we love car ****!

Awesome job on the car! I love seeing the before and after pictures. Its a lot of work, but very rewarding in the end. I cant wait to get started on mine!

Awesome job on the car! I love seeing the before and after pictures. Its a lot of work, but very rewarding in the end. I cant wait to get started on mine!

Thanks....it is for sure alot of hard work....but it is fun too.

I can't wait until it is done so I can see the 100% finished product...but then again , then I won't have anything to do to it lol.....ahh well I guess when that time comes is when I drop in some more horses HAHA

I havent forgot about the thread everyone!.....I am just still waiting on parts to arrive and trying to straighten out problems with certain crucial parts that are on back order and all that not so fun stuff.

but,to keep you all on your toes a little bit.....here are some teasers for ya so you know I have been busy.

All new body gaskets
IMG_20110406_201610copy.jpg

New speedo gear
IMG_20110406_200634.jpg

New throttle cable
IMG_20110406_200757.jpg

New kick down cable
IMG_20110406_200724.jpg

New gauges
IMG_20110406_200026.jpg

Picked up a new craftsman compressorless powder coater
IMG_20110406_145632.jpg

hmmmmm....not sure what this is but I have 3 or 4 of these large box's laying around.....what could they be? MWWOOUHOHAHAHAHA
IMG_20110406_195155.jpg

Picked my self up a new welder,cart,bottle and some gas
IMG_20110406_195053.jpg

New dual feed aeroquip style fuel line
IMG_20110402_195901.jpg

And the new fuel line on the new carburetor!
IMG_20110406_144717.jpg

and another
IMG_20110406_144854.jpg

Still waiting to figure out where to get a windshield gasket since year one has it on back order, already have a new windshield ready to put on order,waiting for some other goodies to show up to.

soon work on the duster will continue!!!!

HMMMMM lets see Large, Rectangle, AMD box's ooo ooo really big Computer Processor w Heat-sink :). Ummmm SHEET-METAL!!!! DING DING DING Do I win something. Looks Great DusteDude can't wait to see it all going on the car sooooo get busy.

Brad

-
Back