72 duster Build progress

-
great progress, cars looking great

what size is your rear rims, and whats the back space?

14x6 in the front and 15x8 in the rear i think? not sure of back space, they were on the duster when i bought it.....nice wide stance in the rear though, I like it....not tucked in like most dusters

With small details like the intake lettering...I can't wait to see the final product! Its the small details that really stand out to me at a carshow.

As for the cluster; did you think about leaving the border black and painting the raised edges around it? Similar to how it looked stock, but with the rest of it now blacked out, it might really stand out like the outline of the gauges do! (hope that makes sense).

KEEP up the great work dude!

With small details like the intake lettering...I can't wait to see the final product! Its the small details that really stand out to me at a carshow.

As for the cluster; did you think about leaving the border black and painting the raised edges around it? Similar to how it looked stock, but with the rest of it now blacked out, it might really stand out like the outline of the gauges do! (hope that makes sense).

KEEP up the great work dude!

Thanks!......yes I have thought about doing the raised ridges in silver and I am still thinking about it.....only problem is, its a tricky one to paint and make all look uniform and alot of masking lol.....but I may still go that route.

I had originally planned on painting all the metal in the interior plum crazy purple to match the car but I decided it would be to much purple so I wanted to go black with the interior....but I may still bring some purple in somewhere to set it off....maybe the duster emblems on the door sills filled with purple and outlined in silver?.

same with under the hood...I thought about painting the engine plum crazy purple with silver but I think it would have blended into the car and I wanted to pop the hood and have the engine stand out as a center peice so i decided on hemi orange. I will probably have more progress pictures later tonight so check back in everyone!

Sorry guys...no pictures yet but i will have some tomorrow....I have been working on it all day and forgot to take pictures.....cleaned and prepped the oil pan for paint,cleaned and prepped and painted the timing cover and water pump and heads and I had to run to the parts store and buy a valve spring compressor because mine got lost? and I also put on order a new timing set while I was there and I picked up some thread locker for my thrustp late bolts and my oil pump cap bolts and some other ones.

Popped all my valves out and lapped them and checked valve guides and I installed new valve seals and put them all back togeather and seated them in.

I think I will have the engine fully assembled by tomorrow night and then saturday i am going to prep the engine bay and prime it and paint it so by saturday or sunday the engine bay should be painted and then I can focus on setting the engine down into place.

so thats where the progress stands as of now!.

I want to say sorry to everyone lol I know I type alot but I like to describe things aswell as I can and once I start hunting and pecking I get on a roll lol.
,Thanks for all the kind words every....keep the comments and suggestions coming!

Ok everyone....I am a little behind schedule, I got a late start today and spent alot of time degreasing parts and sanding parts and cleaner and painting parts and going to the parts store to pick up parts i ordered and then taking a break for dinner and then installing parts.

I got alot of it assembled but I still have a bit more to go before I can say it is done but by tomorrow I will have it all back together so I will keep everyone posted.

Picked up my new timing set!
DSCI0705.jpg

Got the heads on
DSCI0708.jpg

Front cover,balancer and pulley are on
DSCI0711.jpg

Oil pan on
DSCI0712.jpg

Intake and water pump are just sitting there to get an idea of what it will look like
DSCI0713.jpg

and again
DSCI0718.jpg

Its coming together.....trying to find a set of valve covers though.
Would have been done alot sooner but I take my time on cleaning and inspecting and painting the little details in and what not.

Also I went ahead and put a nice shiny yellow line for my timing mark LOL.....and If you would take a look at my "new distributor" lol (some time ,some cleaning and some paint makes alot of things look new again) go ahead and look back through the pictures at what it use to look like!

Let me know what you guys think!

I figured I would bump the thread since everything on my end is all messed up since the new fabo software update and I don't know if its messed up for others or not aswell

I am going to finish up the engine,then I will paint the engine bay and then install the engine, I will then finish up the interior and save the paint and body for last.

I don't get anything done when I do a little bit of each.....it makes multiple projects out of one project rather than going down the list and not getting overwhelmed.

it is always good to see your progress.that means, that you are headed in the right direction.

it is always good to see your progress.that means, that you are headed in the right direction.

Thanks.... Got a little done tonight, ran out of heat in the garage..... Wasn't expecting this cold snap ( the weatherman lied) lol

(in my best Native American inflection) "weatherman say what computer tell him to, he no weatherman". in other words, i could do that job. heck, look at letterman!

Engine is together!!!!

I still have to take pictures yet.

I also still need to go to the hardware store and get a couple water pump bolts and fan pully bolts and then it will be "done"....MINUS a set of valve cover :dontknow::banghead:......so if anyone has a set they would be willing to donate to the cause ...or has a set for sale for cheap let me know!

popped the hood and degreesed the engine bay and I am letting that soak overnight and I will rinse it off tomorrow and start prepping it for paint and I "should" have the engine in by next weekend I am thinking and then I can move on to finishing the interior.

Sat down in the duster tonight.....put my key in the ignition, turned the key and said to my self......verververververver VROOOOOMMMMM.... bwa bwabwa bwa bwabwa <---- (cam LOL).....still dreaming but someday soon I hope to get it all done!

Ahem.. (cough, cough)
please refrain from verbage without pics:-D:-D:-D

UPDATE.... I bought a set of valve covers off of a fellow fabo member....so I should be getting them by the weekend or early next week so when I do I will post before and after pictures.

in the mean time I will show everyone some progress pictures....doesnt look like much because I took a day off from working on it because it was cold and rainy the other day but its progress none the less!

This is the engine with the pullys and fan I refurbished and the new fuel pump and my bright red dipstick lol....I still have to go to the hardware store and pick up two water pump bolts and a set of bolts for my fan.......oh and dont look at the ugly stocker valve covers lol
DSCI0730.jpg

Here is a side view of the engine with my headers hanging on it (there going to be silver)....alot of guys don't like painting them but I didnt want to spend the extra money and I have always had good luck with a specific brand that has high heat header paint with teflon in the paint ....the silver almost has rainbow tint to it under certain lighting ...almost like what water with oil in it looks like.
DSCI0725.jpg

Better view of the distributor after I refurbished it,also has new cap and rotor and plug wires and points and condesor...not just pretty looking lol
DSCI0728.jpg

Passenger door
DSCI0723.jpg

Driver door
DSCI0721.jpg

Dash
DSCI0722.jpg

Started sanding on the engine bay
DSCI0720.jpg

And another picture of the engine bay
DSCI0719.jpg

Let me know what you guys think!!!!

Thanks guys.....and yes it is very clean metal, to bad whoever did the past repaint job used paint that should have been used on an army tank!!!! this stuff sucks to sand lol

-
Back