72 duster Build progress

-
the weather man is calling for 70's and 80's this week. most every day is rain.....but id rather it be warm and rain than cold and rain. atleast if its warm I can close the garage door and still work somewhat comfortably. when its cold I have to run a torpedo heater and without much ventilation in the garage i get headaches and stuff so i prefer not to run it.

oh, and heres the pictures I was going to post the other day.....fabo has been acting up the last few days with the site going down so i wasnt able to put them up.

again, not much in the form of progress pictures. just pictures for the sake of taking them lol. oh....and a picture of my brand new sander that I smoked ( literally ) normally I have good luck with craftsman tools but that orbital sander didnt last but about 4 or so hours of compiled run time.

Attachments

• IMAG0325.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 496
  • IMAG0327.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 503
  • IMAG0328.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 489
  • IMAG0329.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 481
  • IMAG0330.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 494
  • IMAG0331.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 489
  • IMAG0332.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 502
  • IMAG0334.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 490
looking good Jerrod! and I'd say the sander is smoked good! LOL ..

I am using the same grill. Do you think the Duster headlight rings will work with that grill?

oh boy, today was fun.....NOT....was blocking out the driver side rear quarter and i just wasnt happy with how it was flattening out. I kept getting a high spot in the metal. long story short, I ended up taking it all down to metal again and grinding out the weld where i welded the quarter panel in and hammering the metal a little more to get it where i wanted .....and of course with as thin as the weld was is split it right in two. so I then rewelded it,ground it back down and then slicked it again and NOW she is nice and straight!.

I sometimes hate how meticulous I can be with some stuff....its that "its not good enough" mentality that had me going backwards in progress today. but...all in all,the end result will lead to a better final product. I figured if i was going to do it....now would be the time before I get it in primer.

anyhow, that little fiasco is done and out of the way, both fenders are about done, drivers door is done,passenger door is almost done, both quarters are almost done, hood is done,tail panel is done and deck lid is done. just running around it with a file board making sure its all tuned in nice and staight before I bust the primer out. Ill try to get some more pictures up soon of some progress for you all.

Did I mention that......... I HATE sanding!. So tedious and labor intensive. My arms and shoulders feel like jello.

Did I mention that......... I HATE sanding!. So tedious and labor intensive. My arms and shoulders feel like jello.

LOL.. I have been done sanding for about 3 weeks now... and my arms STILL feel that way LMAO ...

yea i hear you on the sanding, but since working on my new home for the last two months, i miss sanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL.. I have been done sanding for about 3 weeks now... and my arms STILL feel that way LMAO ...

I cant wait until the time i get to talk about the body work in past tense lol

yea i hear you on the sanding, but since working on my new home for the last two months, i miss sanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I would probably enjoy carpentry work more at this point lol. Im to meticulous with body work. its never good enough and it takes me alot longer to get it where its "just right".

its getting there though. just tweaking everything. making sure all my body lines are straight all my panels are true and what not. then primer ( hopefully soon....all depends on my schedule right now.) once its in primer I think I will enjoy it more, sanding primer smooth is alot easier more enjoyable work than tuning in filler.

Truthfully there are times I look at the buggy and wish I had been more meticulous.. but honestly for me, I just had to draw a line in the sand and say enough.. otherwise I would've easily spent the next 6 months still doing body work.. Now for some thats good, and I dont ever knock it.. I admire it in fact.. but for me, I just wasnt built with that kind of patience.. I knew I was building a driver.. and though she still has stuff that probaby could've been done, and done , and done to the point of perfection, it just wasnt me.. The buggy turned out pretty bitchin in my eyes, so im happy.. Your obviously more patient, and being meticulous about the car is part of what makes you who you are.. when its all said and done, to you it will all be worth it, and the Duster will be one SWEET ride my friend...

I could sand on this thing for a year straight. and all said and done and painted I bet i could still pick out stuff I dont like or didnt come out just right. im not that way with other peoples cars or when buying a used car or anything. its just when its my own craftsmanship. I guess i just figure if i spent this much time and money on it than nows no time to cut corners or rush through it. either way the plan is to have all the sanding done and in primer in the next week or two and hopefully in paint before the end of June so I can get a few months worth of enjoyment out of it.

but trust me.....I have my days (like tonight) where I spend so much time getting it just right and its not coming out exactly the way i want that I have to just get up and walk away and call it a day lol.

rome wasnt built in a day......but this dusters going on 3 dang years now LMFAO

well, think of it this way. if it is going to be a driven car, and you make eveyhing mint, and miss one little spot, it stands out like a sore thumb! so, miss a few and enjoy a nicwe driver!

bump. Know you are busy.:prayer:

shoot, sorry buddy....I didnt even notice your comment and fabo never alerted me of a thread post. yeah they are cool grills!. I like the sharktooth grills to.....but honestly I think they are about just as cool personally and they are FAR cheaper than a sharktooth ( got my grill,headlight bezels,turn signal lenses,and mounting screws and everything for $100 shipped a little over a year ago I believe) AND they are made of metal...not plastic that cracks and busts chunks out like most old grills you see.

as for the headlight bezels. I cant remember off hand but i want to say that they would fit....but do not quote me on it. I am pretty sure when I first got the grill that I had my factory headlight bezels mounted in with the grill and they fit just like the 69 valiant bezels that came with the grill.

I could sand on this thing for a year straight. and all said and done and painted I bet i could still pick out stuff I dont like or didnt come out just right. im not that way with other peoples cars or when buying a used car or anything. its just when its my own craftsmanship. I guess i just figure if i spent this much time and money on it than nows no time to cut corners or rush through it. either way the plan is to have all the sanding done and in primer in the next week or two and hopefully in paint before the end of June so I can get a few months worth of enjoyment out of it.

but trust me.....I have my days (like tonight) where I spend so much time getting it just right and its not coming out exactly the way i want that I have to just get up and walk away and call it a day lol.

rome wasnt built in a day......but this dusters going on 3 dang years now LMFAO

Trust me.. I understand all to well what your talking about.. I have already picked about a dozen things about the buggy that irk me.. And the more I stare, the more I see... I was truly mortified by the fact that after all I went through, the 4 differant times I primered the car, all the sanding, blocking, checking, looking, filling, wash, rinse, and repeat that we did, when the color went on all kinds of stuff I NEVER noticed or saw, popped up.. I was so irratated at first, here I was at the moment I had waited so long for and I wasnt as happy as I thought I should be... LOL .. talk about messing with your head... but after my wife calmed me down and talked some sense into me (not too mention my friends, and the many people on here) I just decided to quit nit-picking the buggy.. and your right, I NEVER, never, ever do this to cars I see at the shows, or cars in magazines, or ones I just pass by... those cars I just admire, and think 'hey that car looks bitchin'... but when it comes to the buggy, I nit-pick LOL .. cant help it.. Like I said in my thread, She may not be the most beautiful girl at the dance, but she'll turn a few heads! LOL .. All I knew was I wasnt getting any younger... I would've kept at it til I was too old to have fun with it LMAO ...

well, think of it this way. if it is going to be a driven car, and you make eveyhing mint, and miss one little spot, it stands out like a sore thumb! so, miss a few and enjoy a nicwe driver!

yeah, it wont be barret jackson show car quality when done...... I am sure it wont be perfect but I will still make it as nice as I possibly can.

Like I said in my thread, She may not be the most beautiful girl at the dance, but she'll turn a few heads! LOL .. All I knew was I wasnt getting any younger... I would've kept at it til I was too old to have fun with it LMAO ...

HAHAHAHAHA

you got that right.....im ready to be done with the project. puts to much of a hurting on the wallet.....my family has since expanded and that means less time to devote to screwing around with a project of the scale the duster has been. not to mention i just want to DRIVE IT!

shoot, sorry buddy....I didnt even notice your comment and fabo never alerted me of a thread post. yeah they are cool grills!. I like the sharktooth grills to.....but honestly I think they are about just as cool personally and they are FAR cheaper than a sharktooth ( got my grill,headlight bezels,turn signal lenses,and mounting screws and everything for $100 shipped a little over a year ago I believe) AND they are made of metal...not plastic that cracks and busts chunks out like most old grills you see.

as for the headlight bezels. I cant remember off hand but i want to say that they would fit....but do not quote me on it. I am pretty sure when I first got the grill that I had my factory headlight bezels mounted in with the grill and they fit just like the 69 valiant bezels that came with the grill.

THANK U!!! I will try it, otherwise gotta hunt this stuff down!

Did more sanding today for a few hours. it started off kicking my butt because it was 86 degrees today but then we got a rain storm and it cooled off a bit and I was able to work a little more comfortably and things started shaping up nicely.we are in the middle of a bad hail storm right now too.

I hate working in the cold but I also hate working on hot humid days. sweat and sanding dust makes me go home looking like a mud man everytime lol.

Same stuff .....different day.......sanding sanding sanding. Oh boy

My nemesis LMFAO

Attachments

• IMAG0337.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 401
There's 4 days next weekend in a row that my wife does not have to work so will be able to watch the kiddos while i get some more work done. Never really set a date but we are talking about continually working on it over the week so its basically primer ready or close to it come that 4 day weekend . Then spray some primer. My main goal is to get the body work done and in primer, once its in primer i can start having fun with it because the work load lightens up considerably and progress will go much faster also. The biggest thing slowing me down is getting the damn body lines just right. Between it being 40 year old panels. Having welded in patches and what not. Some of the lines were not perfect and i have been very picky about how the lines have came out. Not to mention i basically skim coated the whole car with filler and started sanding to try and get as good as a finish out of all of it as i can. I'm zeroing in on it though, basically all where i want it now except the quarters need a little more fine tuning to be where i want.

Still doing the whole sanding thing everyone.....not much worth taking pictures of because it all "looks" the same . BUT I will say that slowly but surely its starting to come together and with the more sanding that gets done I can see that its getting closer. most of the rough sanding/shaping is done. just got a few touch ups to do and some final sanding and it should be about ready for primer. I have 4 free days coming up , so I am hoping to get it in primer within that time frame this weekend. Ill be sure to keep you guys up to date and post pictures of the progress. stay tuned.

still sanding sanding and sanding guys......but its gitting there. trying to get it all knocked out so I can get it in primer this weekend! fingers crossed everything goes smooth. I know im ready to be done with all of this heavy sanding thats for sure lol. I basically slicked the whole car with a skim coat of filler and sanded it down to get I nice smooth,flat surface all the way around....which yes makes for a better overall end product.......but man does it suck doing all that sanding lol.

tomorrow I need to finish sanding the underside of the hood,underside of deck lid,fender rails and upper portion of cowl under hood ( repainting those to avoid a tape line so Im going to reprime them when I prime the body). still need to scuff up door jambs. a few other odds and ends, fine tune the body a little more. blow everything off again and mask it all up. hoping to get all the sanding done tomorrow and shoot primer sunday or monday.

quick rant......it seems like no one ever wants to get ahold of me......but when I am busy working 5 people will stop over needing something and slow me down from working.....yet wont offer to lay a finger to help me on it......gets annoying....only take so much of the "giving" and no one giving back once and awhile.

and another rant....WHY must EVERYONE write with their finger in the dust on the glass of a car during body work? LOL. I bet 15 different people have done it in the last couple months. and there is always the smart *** ones that write FINISH DATE 2017 ect...ect... lol.

anyhow.....thats whats new, just a whole lot of sanding. I took some more picture today of when we cleaned the garage out again because the dust was building up.....again, it doesnt look like its much different but it is....if you could lay your hands on it you would see.

OH.....and I picked up a sweet deal from a member on a passenger side rally mirror! so now thats one less thing I need to get and I got it in time to mach it up and drill the holes prior to paint and what not too.

and I forgot to mention it but at the beginning of april I picked up a REALLLLLLY good deal on a new pick up truck thats PERFECT for the whole family. its an 03 s10 crew cab 4x4, new tires,fuel straps,fuel pump,$1,000.00 folding tonneua cover,vent visors,cd player,new plugs,wires,cap,rotor,maf sensor,oil change,k&n cold air intake,tensioner pully,serp belt,battery,02 sensors,brakes all around as well as a few other new things. super clean truck.......but the guy is a buddy of mines uncle and it just stopped running and he started throwing parts at it and couldnt get it fixed....so it sat for a few months and he bought a new truck....I ended up buying it for $800.00,bringing it home, cut the cat off and it fired right up and ran great. had a NASTY plugged up cat on it. he had an in dash dvd player in it and use to sit in the truck hours on end day after day with the truck ideling....so I figured it was probably pretty carboned up. luckily it was that simple and I landed a great family vehicle out of the deal. Anyways, the reason i mention all that is because in some of the pictures you can see the truck in the background a little bit.

stayed tuned guys....updates are coming!

mirror1.jpg

IMAG0341.jpg

IMAG0342.jpg

IMAG0343.jpg

IMAG0344.jpg

IMAG0345.jpg

IMAG0347.jpg

IMAG0346.jpg

IMAG0349.jpg

IMAG0350.jpg

Ok guys....been working on my engine for the past couple of days and I painted my edelbrock intake up....I like taking time and putting in extra effort into little details on some things.....the extra WOW factor when people look at what you did and notice the little stuff Let me know what ya think?

DSCI0704.jpg

DSCI0703.jpg
That intake looks amazing... It really is about the details!

-
Back