72 Duster project

-

Sprecks

Reaction score
Here's the new project that my brother (colomopar) and I are going to put together. The Duster started life as a slant six with an automatic. we'll be putting a 340 and 4-speed in it with a 8-3/4 rear end. We'll also be converting to large bolt pattern and disc brakes. Should be a fun build.

Attachments

• duster.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 594
Looks like a solid car for a build. Keep the pics coming.

I got the 340 short block together. Hope to finish the upper end this weekend. Next I'll be changing out the k-frame.

Attachments

• 101_1672.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 546
  • 101_1673.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 546
Got the engine pretty well buttoned up and painted today. Next up will be replacing the K-frame and torsion bars.

Attachments

• 101_1689.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 470
  • 101_1690.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 471
Looking Good so far.. It is the same year as mine, I ended up with a 360 though, couldn't find a 340 the one that came with it was cracked...Did you build the motor up or is it stock?? Mine is built and it scares me it is so light and fast I usually take off easy and then get into it... From a rolling 30 mph it will light the tires up through 2nd gear of the automatic when I get on it... Looks like a fun build and it has a shark tooth grille very nice...Bill:cheers:

The 340 is a 1970 block with X heads. Keith Black pistons and comp cam. The cam is a little hotter than a stock grind but still pretty mild. It should be about 9.5:1 compression. Everything has been balanced. It should run pretty good with the 4-speed. Looks like we'll be backing things up with a 3.23 sure gripped 8-3/4 rear.

Lookin' good on the motor Jay!!! Wish I were closer to help out.

Hey all, it looks like we may have to repaint the hood on this one. The question is, did they ever put the ladder stripe up the center of the hood on 340 cars in 1972? I'm thinking that was a Twister trim that was only done on 318 cars. What would the 340 hood's have looked like with the twin scoops?

Hang on tight it will be a runner... If you can get the traction to the ground it will snap your neck...Have fun be safe...:burnout:Bill

out with the old gas tank and 7-1/4 rear end. In with the new tank and 8-3/4.

Attachments

• 101_1698.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 384
  • 101_1702.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 387
  • 101_1693.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 383
  • 101_1692.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 376
Your really making fast work of this build. Looks like all the right upgrades.

Nice... Sounds a lot like my engine but mine has a LD340 intake with a 750 Edelbrock, and headers. Mine also has 3.23 gears and four speed... Honestly I have been very disappointed with the performance since day one... Only way to spin a tire is rev it up and dump clutch and that's without sure grip.. Actually feels like it is probably a 15 second car... Hope yours does better..

Lookin' good on the motor Jay!!! Wish I were closer to help out.

Hey all, it looks like we may have to repaint the hood on this one. The question is, did they ever put the ladder stripe up the center of the hood on 340 cars in 1972? I'm thinking that was a Twister trim that was only done on 318 cars. What would the 340 hood's have looked like with the twin scoops?

Dave Moore's Lemon Twist '72 four speed 340 survivor car had the ladder stripe. I don't think you could get a 340 with the scoops though. But since the car started life as a 6, I say do whatever you want with it. :burnout:

Indeed they did.....code V21,Performance Hood Package...Here is a pic of my former, sigh, weep...72...original survivor with 45,000 miles on the odometer at the time July 2009. Hood scoops by 72 were a dealer only installed option....good luck with your build...looks great!

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and clarification about the hood. Hope to have this thing back on the road by spring.

Jay, give me a call when you get a chance. We need to talk about the wheels again, I may send the ones I got with rubber instead of the new ones.

Been awhile so here is a quick update. I've got some wheels and tires put on the car. Got the pedals put in and also slid the engine and tranny into place. Next up will be floor pan and tranny hump work. Not to crazy about the blue engine with the blue body color. Almost too much. I'm hoping it will look better once I get the air cleaner and accessories on it to tone it down. Need to black out the wheel wells too.

Attachments

• 101_1723.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 270
  • 101_1757.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 278
  • 101_1758.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 252
The black Mopar performance valve covers would do wonders in breaking up the engine bay!! The fan and radiator will help too

The black Mopar performance valve covers would do wonders in breaking up the engine bay!! The fan and radiator will help too
Sounds like a good idea. I'll put valve covers on my list for next weeks swap meet in Indy.

-
Back