72 duster trans

-

dan brooks

Reaction score
I have a 72 duster originally a 318 automatic. i never had any of the drive train when i bought this shell. I'm starting to put parts together to get the ol girl running again.
Here's the question, i have a 318 for motor but will a 727 fit behind it and fit up into the car without modifying the firewall or tunnel or should i go with a 904?

I have a 72 duster originally a 318 automatic. i never had any of the drive train when i bought this shell. I'm starting to put parts together to get the ol girl running again.
Here's the question, i have a 318 for motor but will a 727 fit behind it and fit up into the car without modifying the firewall or tunnel or should i go with a 904?
Yes, a 727 will fit without any floorpan, firewall or tunnel mods.

Yes 904s are good for the A bodies, a little more room to work around them compared to the 727's tight fit.

727s go good in the B bodies and Trucks.

904 pictured here:
20200802_202253.jpg

To answer your question, yes a 727 will fit in your 72 Duster just fine without having to modify anything.

^^Well that is not quite true^^. If you have a center console you need to make sure the transmission case has the mounting holes for the lower bracket for the console shifter, and you will need a DIFFERENT LENGTH driveshaft and slip yoke.

On an A body, the 3 or 4 speed gearboxes are same length as a 904, but the 727 is some longer.

thank you all, i appreciate all your input. I'll look for a 904

904's are relatively inexpensive and pretty simple to rebuild. Get a good rebuild kit with Alto red clutches/steels. YouTube is your friend to help with the rebuild! 65'

-
Back