72 duster

-

dougman

Reaction score
Ok need some help on this i'm not good with electrical. This is the problem I put a new stereo In the car and as far as I can see all wires are good but the car go's dead. So I disconnected the acc. wire and that fixed the problem for now. Could the problem be in the ignition or in the stereo?? Any ideas would be great thank you much.

Explain some more

What do you mean "the car goes dead?" Engine quits? You lose all power? Some power? What works, what does not

What do you mean "disconnected the accessory wire" Where?

Definitely needs to clarify. The stereo memory can drain a battery over a very long period. If the memory drains the battery quickly the battery is no good.
The acc wire could have meant the one on the stereo sometimes used for power antenna.
That acc wire is only used when it is needed. Don't connect it if you don't need it.
All this is just blind guessing.

Ok yes I should of said it kills the battery, I have no power antenna and yes the stereo works fine I took out the out one replaced it the same way and by the instructions as far I can see I used 1 ground 1 hot wire all the time and the accessory wire and if I disconnect the accessory wire going to the stereo it don't kill the battery I had no problem before this with the battery. I can get a tester from my work and check the battery and see how good it is. Thank you for the info so far.

If the battery properly stores amps a draw as low as stereo memory shouldn't kill the battery in days or weeks even.
My neighbor has a super nice Lexus that sits for months.
When he would go to start it the battery was too far gone for starting. He considered buying one of those battery maintainer thingys but I talked him out of it because the Lexus sits in a garage attached to the house. I just don't trust any battery charger of any kind. So he starts it and lets it run 10 min's once in a while.

-
Back