'72 Scamp-not really a "restoration"

-
like the pics. i have the same car and gotta say im loving it. eventually if the funds hold out id like to make the car the daily driver reliable. let me know how you make out with any upgrades.

like the pics. i have the same car and gotta say im loving it. eventually if the funds hold out id like to make the car the daily driver reliable. let me know how you make out with any upgrades.

Ahhh yes-I was sure I'd seen a picture of a blue/primer Valiant/Scamp. Yours looks to be in much better shape body wise. Making them DD reliable is not difficult. Mine has cancer all over it, the 318 is making death noises and it has a couple wire gremlins here and there. But, as long as yours hasn't been hacked to death or treated to an overzealous dose of redneck engineering, then you won't have a hard time making it reliable.

Like others said on your thread, make the brakes reliable. As far as getting them disc-that's a great way to do it if you can find/afford the parts. I chose to get my drums up to par first since that was significantly less expensive. I think to completely rebuild my brakes (MC, f/r shoes, f/r hardware, wheel cylinders, seals, and getting them all bled out) was ~$250. I didn't know about this website at the time, and no one on eBay was willing to let front disc conversions go that cheap, so my route was more frugal, but the car stops fine for what I need it to do. It passes inspection, and it has kept me from running into stuff :p

Pretty much everything I've done to the car since I acquired it is posted on here, and anything I feel is significant I'll continue to post up. Good luck with your Scamp, and we all look forward to seeing yours progress as well!

...how one project turns into another?

Ok, so I got the old dash parts out, a couple of in progress pix...and the gage panel that will replace it. Since I had the panels out, I figured I'd inspect visible parts, and then I discovered a bunch of dirt/debris/leaves/pine needles/etc taking residence in the rails of the dash. So, I grabbed the vacuum and started policing those up.

...then I remembered seeing stuff clogging the cowl drains and figured, maybe I better take out my fresh air vents and check in there-ya know, since I'm here. Vacuum cleaner again to the rescue. I'm not sure how much crap I picked up inside the cowl from the driver's side porthole, but I could hear it moving down the tube as I laid down on the floor and manipulated the end.

...then I figured I better pull the whole HVAC unit so I can really clean out all that nonsense. The other day I had it up to about 110 on a backroad wringing out the new engine...I'll have to find a picture, but it's really no different looking that another other 5.2 with an AirGap intake surrounded by old accessories. Anyway, that's about when I figured I need to start getting ready for work, and I'll attack the HVAC tomorrow or the next day.

Anyway, here's a couple pix...I'll probably take some more when I get the HVAC out and start cleaning it up. I know I saw a thread on here about restoring one, and that would probably be a good idea since most of the foam is quickly rotting away on mine. I also need to find one of the vent assemblies for the A/C duct...guess another trip to the classifieds is in my future.

Attachments

• dash 1.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 931
  • dash 2.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 879
  • dash 3.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 875
  • gage panel.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 877
Ok so your build has inspired me to put mine up. Thinking ill do it tomorrow after work. Nice job on everything so far and thx for the service and protecting our country.

Thanks for the kind words, I'm proud to serve, Sir and glad to know I've motivated you to work your A body!

I got the box out and proceeded to clean out the cowls. If you read all the way through the thread, you may recall I got the car from my Dad back around '07. The car sat for the better part of a decade in his driveway uncovered amidst ash, pecan, and pine trees. Needless to say, there was 20 year old dried out remnants of decayed needles, leaves and dirt. There's only a couple small rust holes around the cowl, but they're one the stovepipe portion, not anywhere that would cause a leak (surprisingly enough). I guess that means the wet carpet after rain is from the windshield gasket.

Anyway, those are finally cleaned after eating some dirt and sneezing up a couple days worth of black and brown mud boogers. As mentioned I already pulled the box out. I just picked up my new heater core from AZ this afternoon, and while I'm thinking about it, the replacement is aluminum instead of brass, and more than noticeably narrower. As long as it doesn't pop, I really couldn't care less. A few hours after my last post, I found a store on eBay (Detroit Muscle Technologies) that had my restore kit-$65 plus a set of clips, and it should be here around Tuesday. I've had a couple thoughts about having the a/c cabinet glass beaded along with all the inside parts to keep them from further rot or at the very least POR the rusty parts before putting it back together.

Anyway, here's a couple pix of what's currently going on. The pile of leaves is about half of what I dumped out of the box, and the a/c portion had some lingering in there too. If that's any indication, something tells me that thing ought to kick out some serious air when I get it all installed.

The bottom picture of the dash is the test fit after enough trimming to fit it and drill holes for the fasteners. I'm pretty pleased with the product (thanks CashA10!). It's filled with AutoMeter Phantoms, and I just gotta wire it all up. I'm strongly thinking about getting the Jeg's wiring kit just so it's all color coded and I can attach actual connectors instead of just connecting it all together. I know I have to take a chunk out of the dash brace to attach the speedo cable, but that's nothin to knock out. Probably the worst part will be extending the wire harness for the wiper switch since it's moved from one side of the dash to the other and that's not even bad.

Attachments

• heater box 1.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 866
  • heater core.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 860
  • heater trash.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 857
  • new dash.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 854
Ok, so I neglected to put up pictures of the a/c heater box going back together and going back into the car, but there are a few other threads on that one, so I don't feel too bad. I was making good progress putting things back together anyway. That being said, if any of you guys need to restore your a/c heater boxes and aren't aware of Detroit Muscle Technologies rebuild kits, I'll put another plug in for them-the pieces are of good quality, they fit great, the instructions are easy enough to read, there are illustrations and the customer service is quick, polite, and personable. They have their own website plus an eBay store, so peruse if you're in need.

Just make sure you label all the vacuum hoses. I put tape around mine, but realized after I stabbed the boxes back into the dash I had labeled them...well, not very well. I fiugred it out, but not before some headscratching and foul oaths escaped.

My only problem now is to find a decent blower motor...I think I locked it up while trying to remove the squirrel cage-jammed up tight as a drum. I found one on parts geek since I couldn't seem to locate one from Rock Auto (weird?) for about $62. If anyone has any input on this one, I'd like to hear it.

While I was waiting for some RTV to dry on the housing, I found some moments to replace the sending units for my new Phantom gages. So, after the HVAC stuff all goes back together, I'll start on wiring/installing the new dash from Peak Dashes. I also picked up a dual speaker plate from one of the guys on here-I posted up pictures in that thread, guess I should put them up on here too. I'll have to crawl up underneath later on today after I get away from work and take some pictures of it installed too.

Anyway, I gotta head out for the time being-enjoy!

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 838
  • photo 1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 816
...here's a couple of the dash at night...I think the bulb condom fell off the light in the water temp gage, and I really have no desire to dig that sob out of there anytime soon. This dash looks good in the car, but there were a few moments where I wanted to commit despicable acts going in.

Also a pic of the interior at night...I found an online fabric supplier (SMS Auto Fabrics, I believe was the name) and requested a swatch of one of their patterns...light blue/black houndstooth...thinking about how that might look on the seats, door panels, and maybe the dash pad. Any comments are of course, welcome.

Then there's the last pic...yeah, I know my garage is a wreck-and it's the wrong kinda engine...this is my other project. It's an all aluminum 4.6 4V prepping to go into my '84 Mustang GT with a single turbo. I still have a ton of parts left to buy on that one, but what you see is just for mock up purposes...I'm not looking forward to degreeing all four cams.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 813
  • photo 2.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 819
  • photo 3.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 821
  • photo 4.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 848
  • photo 5.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 812
  • photo.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 809
  • photo (1).jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 803
So this last weekend, shanson delivered a '72 Scamp from Austin to Abilene-pretty good chunk of driving, and awesome of him to do it-thanks again FABO for being a great place to network. What'll probably wind up happening is me putting ALL of my good parts (to include a new 383 :) ) in the one he dropped off and set it up how I want it. I didn't get a chance to snap any pictures as my sinuses didn't feel like cooperating, and I won't be able to upload anything for the next couple of weeks due to a couple upcoming TDYs-see y'all then!

Didn't realize it had been this long since I posted up anything on here. I did post up a question on the electrical section about a charging problem I was having. I think I have that problem licked after dropped some cash on a new ignition harness and installing a relay for that circuit. Nothing really to show there but a new pretty harness. I also picked up a prewired headlight add-on harness that uses relays. I am happy to report that mod took only 30 minutes to install, and the car maintains full voltage at idle with nice bright lights.

I also started changing my leafs sourced from a fella on here, just waiting on shackles to show up since the old hardware was totally rotted. All the u bolts had to be replaced...half the nuts took stud with them on the way off, so I had to run out to a local place that works on 18 wheelers to source new ones. They bent new bolts on site and I'm sure they were cheaper than what I'd spend ordering them.

I wish I could be putting the 8 3/4" under it with the new springs, but I don't have all the pieces to put it together right now, and I have to get the car ready in the next week to long term store the car down at my Dad's house. I have an assignment overseas that will keep me gone for 4 years, and I can't really take the car with me unless I pay out the wazoo to have it shipped.

So, the restomod will have to wait for a long time :( I might be able to talk my Dad into a couple things, but that's about it...

Soliciting a couple opinions here concerning rear suspension:

I plan to make this car daily drivable, capable of taking long trips, and perhaps an occasional strip blast. I was thinking about caltracs with monoleafs moved inboard and minitubbed with the 8 3/4" when it finally goes in.

Anyone looking at this thread have this setup?
What are pros/cons of caltracs/monoleafs?
Other options?

Any constructive feedback is welcome-thanks y'all!

Edit: is there anything else I'd need to consider? i.e., panhard bar, anti-sway bar, etc...

Jeff

Looking great. What size are the speedo/tac gauges? I am trying to decide if I want to go 3 3/8" or 5"

Looking great. What size are the speedo/tac gauges? I am trying to decide if I want to go 3 3/8" or 5"

goo, sorry about the late reply...I get the impression sometimes folks don't look at mine because there's very little progress.

The tach/speedo are 3 3/8", and the rest are 2 1/16"

I chose them more out of convenience than desire I think...I happened to have a 3 3/8" speedo from my Mustang that I would no longer need due to using an electronic speed sensor, and the 2 1/16" fuel gage is also left over from the Mustang...when I swapped to EFI in that car, I installed a newer tank and the sending unit required a different gage, so the old one sat in the package for a few years until I figured out the old Mopar impedance was the exact same as the old carbed tank in my Mustang...saved me some cash when populating the dash.

I get the impression sometimes folks don't look at mine because there's very little progress.QUOTE]

Uh Uh, never presume no one is watching!! :glasses7: Sometimes it is just from the shadows. Us fellow Scampers have to support each other.

Uh Uh, never presume no one is watching!! :glasses7: Sometimes it is just from the shadows. Us fellow Scampers have to support each other.

I've noticed here lately there are more Scamps getting attention :) I think there's about 5 or 6 of them currently being exhibited on here. I'm still debating on which direction to go with my grille...if I wanna stick with the original, go with a '69, or try to find a serviceable sharktooth...

I was really tossed up between original and sharktooth, but once it was on it never came off! :D The Valiant grill is cool too, but I didn't have one of those to even try.

I was really tossed up between original and sharktooth, but once it was on it never came off! :D The Valiant grill is cool too, but I didn't have one of those to even try.

Yeah, I balked on a 69 grille from one of the members on here...he only wanted a modest sum for it, but I couldn't find any marker lights for it...so I elected to keep it...this far.

I had a 75 Scamp and I was planning on gettin a custom billitt grill made for it. Might be an idea for someone to try.

-
Back