72 scamp rotor fittment issue

-

Slappy

Reaction score
I have a 72 scamp that I decided to put front brake rotors on. The car has kelsey hayes 4 piston calipers and the rotors are the ones you press the studs out to seperate the rotors. I bought some aftermarket type rotors for it. Here is the issue. I installed the rotors with no issues. The rotors are identical in size depth ect. I bolted the calipers on and now I can put the back pad in but the front side pad lacks about an 1/8th of an inch from being able to fit it in between caliper piston and rotor. Thought maybe I would turn rotors to make them a little thinner. I did turn them and still cant install pads. What gives??? the hubs are the same with the same bearings. Only difference is rotors. They are just a little thicker. Any advise??

Did you push back the caliper pistons back into their bores, as far as they will go?

Also, make sure that your inner bearing race is fully seated in the hub, and that it didn't somehow move when you took out the bearing and seal, when you did the swap.

Those things are the only items that i can think of, that might be causing your problem.

Did you push back the caliper pistons back into their bores, as far as they will go?

...AND... sometimes when calipers get rusted/ gummed up inside, you cannot easily depress the pistons the full depth.

well the one side does seem to be out just a tad more. But they are all the way back. I will post pix tomorrow night. I have the exact same problem both sides. I used the same bearings and hubs that the old rotors used. I tried cracking open bleeder and tried to force pistons back more and they are back as far as they will go. The inner pad has more than enough room but the outer pad lacks about an 1/8th of an inch.

You gotta be having trouble with those hubs & rotors not being centered on the "shaft" of the spindle.
And that would have to be the races in the hubs.
Did you check them to see if both inners, and outers, are seated correctly?
Did you remove the bearings to pack them with grease, when you took everything apart?
If so, did you use a punch to punch out the inner bearing and seal, or did you just use the spindle nut on the shaft to pop out the bearing and seal.
Make sure those races didn't move in the hubs.
That's the only thing that would keep everything from being properly "centered"
Well, anyway, hope it helps getting you out of your problem.
Jim V.

when you change the rotors the hubs stay. so the bearings and races were never moved. you knock the studs out then the rotor seperates from hub

when you change the rotors the hubs stay. so the bearings and races were never moved. you knock the studs out then the rotor seperates from hub

I know about studs, rotors, hubs, and how everything comes apart, and then goes back together.
I rebuild these brakes all the time, as a little side line business, from when i was wrenching for a living, full time.
I'm trying to help you out of your problem. not knowing what you did, or didn't do, in the changeover of the rotors.
I still think you had better check those hubs, and the races that are in them.
You asked for help, i was willing to give it, but i will now bow out.

Attachments

• 3 Kelsey Hayes Brakes 003 (Small).JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 111
There is always the possibility that the rotor plates weren't manuafactured or machined correctly from the factory. I think I'd take some carefull measurements on both old and new parts to see where the differences lie.

Wow hemi71. Just asked for help. I appreciate the help. Sorry if you thought I was rude. Was not my intent. Thanks to all whom helped. I always value all opinions. I was just letting you know I knew what I was doing. I fixed the problem. It was the fat aftermarket pads that were doing it. Rotors, bearings, hubs, races, ect all checked good. Replaced pads walla all fixed!

-
Back