72 Swinger hold off valve

-

Crazy4408pac

N. Michigan
Reaction score
Just about ready to replace all the brake lines, on my 72 Swinger. Was 4 wheel drum. Now rear drum and front disk. Am wondering if I need to install a hold off valve? And where it would be mounted.
Thanks

frt 4 piston conversion as in Kelsey Hayes ??? i asked the same question and nobody could give me a definate answer ... SO i went ahead and installed it .... If you buy the front to rear brake line from INLINE tubing ... it will come as a 2 piece that will show you exactly where to mount it.... SO i installed a new distribution block , a hold off valve and had a little difficulty in ordering correct master for my application ... BUT from what i read .. just order a master cyl for a 69 GTS dart for power brakes and you SHOULD be OK .. UNLESS somebody can chime in and tell us differently ?????

whats a hold off valve? are you talking about the safety valve mounted on the inside of the framerail under the master or a residual valve to keep correct pressure applied to the brakes?

Hold off valve installed directly after distribution block inline going to rear brakes ONLY ... delay fluid flow to rear to prevent lock up .. i am thinking ?

Hold off valve installed directly after distribution block inline going to rear brakes ONLY ... delay fluid flow to rear to prevent lock up .. i am thinking ?

oh gotcha, I thought that was installed as part of the safety valve

If it were me, I'd buy an aftermarket ADJUSTABLE proportioning valve. Summit, others, sell them

Well, I was in he process of removing the front to back line and discovered a hold off valve, in the line. Doesn't make sense. Now, I have to send the one piece line back and order a two piece. I'm going to go ahead and order a new hold off, while I'm at it. Might as well have all new components. Man! Working on 40 plus year old rigs is a b**ch.
Thanks for all your help.

The "hold off" valve guys above found in the rear brake tubing is termed a "proportioning valve". It was a separate piece only in the earliest front disk designs. Later, it became part of the "combination valve", hence the new "combination" term. That block also incorporated a "hold-off valve" on the outlet to the front brakes. Its purpose was to delay actuation of the front disks until the rear shoes had enough volume flow to contact the drums. I think it was basically a spring-loaded poppet.

You can buy new reproduction combo valves for ~$70, but I am with 273 that a new adjustable prop valve is better. You can get some that do the whole combo stuff, plus are adjustable, which you really need for any deviations from the factory design (larger wheels, radial tires, ...). The MC doesn't really enter into the equation. All dual reservoir ones output the same pressure on the front & rear circuits.

You don't require a "residual valve" on MC ports today (since wheel cylinders now have washers acting on the rubber cups). That is only for hot rodders who put the MC down low, below the calipers & wheel cylinders.

-
Back