727 2-3 shift problem

-

chlngr1970

Reaction score
I'm having this problem on two of my 727s. When the trans shifts between 2nd and third, it takes a second or two before the trans engages in third gear. Both my 70 Duster and my 72 D100 do this. Is this a clutch problem and can be adjusted?

j

I'm having this problem on two of my 727s. When the trans shifts between 2nd and third, it takes a second or two before the trans engages in third gear. Both my 70 Duster and my 72 D100 do this. Is this a clutch problem and can be adjusted?

j

Usually when a tranny starts sliding into third gear, its a problem with the front clutch pack, sounds like time to take it apart.
Check to make sure your kick down linkage is adjusted correctly first!
Good luck!

does the rpm flare up during the shift...

the problem with 727 is the 2-3 shift, the band applies before the clutch pac releases....it is actually in two gears at once and the rpm flares.

try adjusting the front band.....can be done from the outside on the driver side.

actually installing a transgo tf-2 shift kit will get rid of this problem if the trans is in good shape.

does the rpm flare up during the shift...

the problem with 727 is the 2-3 shift, the band applies before the clutch pac releases....it is actually in two gears at once and the rpm flares.

try adjusting the front band.....can be done from the outside on the driver side.

actually installing a transgo tf-2 shift kit will get rid of this problem if the trans is in good shape.

Sorry to disagree T but flare up and overlap are not the same problem. Their just the opposite. Flare up is when there is a delay between when the front band lets loose and the front clutch pack applies. It's called flare up because the rpm's flare up high then drop back down. If it's in 2 gears at once (overlap) the rpm won't flare up. It'll actually jerk if the overlap is bad enough because of the 2 gears binding. Normally you can't even feel overlap because it happens all at once.

Chalenger70 It does sound like a flare up problem and just could be as simple as a throttle pressure (kickdown) adjustment so first try extending the rod at the carb if you have the old style linkage or if you have the new style linkage the adjustment is down below. Anyway about it try adjusting it so the throttle pressure lever on the trans. is pushed farther back at all times. Note it you go too much on the adjustment it'll hang in gears too long before shifts. If this doesn't solve it it's most likely time for a rebuild.

-
Back