727 accumulator spring

-

daves66valiant

68 Dart 340/727:66 Signet Vert 340/5spd: 68 D100
Reaction score
First time 727 DIY rebuild. 73' car tranny that's going into my 68' truck with a 440. Got the tranny tore down and found that there was no accumulator spring. Did not see a piston rod, so wth? Do I just leave out the accumulator spring? I'm putting in a TF2 shift kit in it. I read that the spring smoothes out the 1-2 shift. What should I do? Leave it out or put one in. I'm not worried about having a super hard shift from 1-2. This is a truck not a drag/street car.

Opinions Thanks

Dave

.................I usually put a spring under the acc or a blocker rod.............if u put 1 between the vb and acc it will soften the shift.....u should use something though as the acc piston will be slamming back and forth otherwise, and could possibly break.........use a 3.8 front lever ....kim..........

Folks have been tossing out the accumulater springs for years. It was the original DIY shade tree shift kit. I'm not surprised to hear yours is missing. Some like a instant transision from one gear to the next and some dont.
Instructions that come with a actual shift kit should state keep or disgard the acc' spring. If those instructions dont say toss it out we have to assume keep it.
I'm sure someone here has one if you need it. Good luck

p.s. Without the spring the piston will go to the bottom of the bore and sit there, no slamming back and forth. You could put a block under the piston to hold it to the top of the bore.
That piston doesn't have a sealing ring so fluid does bypass it regardless where it sits in the bore.

Good to know. I'll read the transgo shift kit instructions.

Btw. What material would make a good rod to replace the spring?

Plastic Delrin, copper tubbing, steel, conduit, aluminum tube. Etc?

any rod...hollow or solid...3 inches long by 3/8 diameter...

............The acc piston does in fact have a sealing ring on it.......and yes it does move up and down in its bore............the blocker measurement is 2.850 inches.......kim.......

............The acc piston does in fact have a sealing ring on it.......and yes it does move up and down in its bore............the blocker measurement is 2.850 inches.......kim.......

might have 3 inch rods in them....4 or 5 trans...LOL

-
Back