727 for pulling and low end torque

-

The Viking

Reaction score
I have a 75 powerwagon, worn out 318 (still runs great after 300k miles) and the 727 behind it, It is as high a milage as the motor and still does ok.

What i want to do is rebuild the tranny. not looking to put 9k rpm in front of it, max would be about 4000 from the motor.

Would just a basic rebuild be the way to go, no special valving, no smaller Torque convertor, etc???????? I would prefer harder shifts and at a slightly higher rpm shift point than stock.

I would like to rebuild this thing on my own. I have done alot of reading and am involved in industrial maintenance so mechanical elements are not an issue for me.

What do you folks reccomend I do? I am a cheap basterd and dont want to spend a bunch of cash!!! I am a NOOB when it comes to this stuff really!!!! i have done some band adjustments, and cleaning out of a "filthy" valve body......etc........ but a rebuild is nothing i have ever tackeled.

Thoughts? ideas?

Just tryin to get a feel for this before I do it........

Guess no one knows anything about tranny's...........................???????

LOL!!! i know many are busy this time of year!!!!!!!

Will wait patiently for a reply!

Viking the torqueflite is the easiest trans. to rebuild IMHO bar none. Sounds like a basic rebuild will work for you. A great shift improver kit that addresses some of the shortcomings of the TF is made be Trans-go. It's the only brand of shift improver kit I will install anymore as some I've put in actually caused overlap and the trans-go dosen't. Sounds like the TF-1 would work for you. Or the TF-2 if you want a little firmer shifts. I'd also suggest getting a service manual that will tell you the specs on things so you can make sure and set all the clearances so it will work the best and last the longest. A factory serv. manual will work but there's a book out by Carl Munoe called Torqueflite A-727 Transmission Handbook and it's absolutely awesome and better than a FSM. Munroe's the man when it comes to writing books about TF's. I got mine from Amazon books for about $15 if I remember right. It goes into detail of how the trans works and shows mods and the installation of the trans-go shift improver kit. Also gives all the clearance specs and shows exactly how to check them.

Yea I got to agree with Fishy as he is talking of a basic overhaul. Viking, It sounds like you've already been doing your homework which is good. Plan on replacing all the seals, of course, bands and I would go with the bolt in sprag for safety sake. You may want to contact TCS products to see if they offer a Basic overhaul kit or just try your local Tranny shop for parts availibility but be careful that they don't try selling you the works cause that's obviously not what you want.

Terry

Thanks gentelman!!! I have heard from a few local mopar fanatics that trans go is a good kit, yall just confirmed it, thanks!!!!!

Another thought (and something I plan to buy) is the new governor weight packages from A&A Trans and others. You can raise the rpm of the up shift the right way, with the governor. And it's easy to swap them during a rebuild. My truck shifts a little low for my taste at WOT, but I also raplced the cam so it pulls higher.

-
Back