727 front drum / clutch question

-

dwhip361

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm rebuilding my small block 727 and after disassembling it I found the front drum is only a 3 disc setup. I would like to upgrade to 4 or 5 clutches. I know you can get drums that are modified for 4 and 5 clutch drums. My question is are there any other pieces needs to do this mod? Are there any interference issues with a 5 clutch drum. This is a 1976 727 case. Thanks for the help.

No, you just need the correct Year Drum. so its a 76, so it has the larger bearing in it.
Everything else is the same. No Problem

I machined the pressure plate on my 4 plate drum to accept 5 plates. You will need to change the snap ring to get your clearance correct. Last one I did was about 10 years ago and you could still get the snap rings from mopar.

I machined the pressure plate on my 4 plate drum to accept 5 plates. You will need to change the snap ring to get your clearance correct. Last one I did was about 10 years ago and you could still get the snap rings from mopar.
I guess you could machine the plate on a 3 clutch and fit 4?

A used four plate drum isn't very expensive. Should be less than fifty bucks. Then use a bottom forward pressure plate for the direct top plate and you can put five in there. It' takes some force to install the waved snap ring, but the clearance is good after it's installed completely.

-
Back