727 Kickdown Linkage

-

MBigDaddyM

Reaction score
75 Dart Sport 318, the car will not come out of first gear most of the time and when it does it is shifting at the wrong time. The engine has an edelbrock intake and carb....here is a pic....
0606111939_01.jpg

Looks like (from your pic) that the throttle cable is holding your kickdown so that its not returning to the proper position

Upper rod is upside down, etc. here's the way it should be...

Attachments

• '67Dart273-6 (Medium).jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 1,377
....and notice there is a spring that pulls the link towards the FRONT of the car

I see it has a bolt in the linkage slot. It's probably holding the linkage too far back. Take it out and see what happens. Plus the rod is upside down and needs a return spring to pull it forward.

Yours is a whole different set up. I think the spring on the slant runs vertical to the throttle linkage, but I wouldn't swear to it. I haven't owned or worked on one for 35 years.

You're right - I'm sure there are differences. I was just curious where (in general) one might find springs of this nature. A glance through RockAuto and a couple of other online vendors didn't produce too much.

OP: didn't meant to thread-jack. But it looks like you're gonna need one of these things, too :mrgreen:

My money says that is a bent to kind of work 2 bbl 318 kickdown rod and throttle bracket.

You need the corecct 4 bbl rod and bracket.

great pic just relized i never had a spring to pull linkage towards fire wall

You're right - I'm sure there are differences. I was just curious where (in general) one might find springs of this nature. A glance through RockAuto and a couple of other online vendors didn't produce too much.

OP: didn't meant to thread-jack. But it looks like you're gonna need one of these things, too :mrgreen:

NAPA should have something that will work, they have various spring assortments on their little spinner racks.

Like I said, you have a 318 2 bubble kickdown rod installed backwards, with a 318 acelerator braket that has been bent up.

Look at your pic and 65 vals pic.
Notice how his throttle cable goes under the kickdown rod ?
Notice how his kickdown rod bends up ?
Also notice how his k/d rod is all the way up against the pin on the carb and yours is about 1/4" away ?
The k/d rod needs to be adjusted all the way up against the pin at idle.

You need a 4 bbl k/d rod and bracket.
I sell the V8 k/d rod if your interested.

Heres another pic.

Attachments

• faucet pics 835.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 938
This is how mine came. I gotta move the spring still because it should be where the end of the rod is.

Attachments

• CarbLinkage.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 978
Great pics, but he has a 4 barrel.

Your spring goes back to where you have the cotter pin.

i need that green spring lol im waiting on my K D rod from powder coat
looks like my linkage does not have a wing tab for spring does any one have a
good pic of where mine goes to

and yes i know the mtr looks like crap why powder coat the linkage
thats a old pic from tear down looks way better now all fresh

Attachments

• dart 189.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,024
Ryan,
Added another pic for you.
As you can see the 4bbl bracket is vertical where the cable attaches.
The 2bbl bracket lays flat.
Looks like yours was a 2bbl bracket that has been bent up. It might work.

Attachments

• faucet pics 834.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 854
-
Back