727 noise?

-

ralphie361

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had this noise?
[ame]http://youtu.be/SXxuT3GQwIc[/ame]
It happens when going from drive to neutral, or reverse to neutral. I get a similar sound that seems to follow driveshaft speed, but it's intermittent.
[ame]http://youtu.be/XtwTRZN8ESs[/ame]
Back story: bought cheap truck with front pump seal leaking badly. Trans shifted well and did not make this noise when I drove it home. I put a new pump with bushing and converter in it, had the valve body and front band out, adjusted, torqued valve body, put back in, and this is what I've got. Trans still shifts very well, I took inspection cover off, no rubbing. I'm pretty sure it's time to pull it back out, but I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas (vb sticking?). Thanks!

sounds like clucking hens in first post. Is it that noticeable?

Yeah, it's pretty noticeable in the cab. It's kind of a odd sound, almost doesn't sound like metal to metal. I'm wondering if it's stemming from getting stuck between gears when shifting, or metal contact when the load changes. I think I'll start by dropping the pan...

hard to tell but it sounds kinda like metal to metal contact to me. I'd check the inspection cover over close. As you shift in and out of gears the converter gets loaded causing it to shift for/aft a little. If the inspection cover is bent anywhere it could be hitting it

hard to tell but it sounds kinda like metal to metal contact to me. I'd check the inspection cover over close. As you shift in and out of gears the converter gets loaded causing it to shift for/aft a little. If the inspection cover is bent anywhere it could be hitting it

I thought that's what it was, and I did have a little contact and a different noise so I left it off this last time, that's when I found this other noise unfortunately:)

Sounds like the accumulator piston, banging back and forth.Did you remember to reinstall the spring, before the VB went back up?

I think I did, I don't have an extra spring laying around after the install, but I will check that when I drop the pan, thanks! I'll check the sealing rings in the piston as well, I wonder if one leaking would give a similar issue. It definitely seems pressure path related.

With it making noise while the driveshaft is turning , I would be stripping it completely down and inspecting everything , before it grenades itself.

With it making noise while the driveshaft is turning , I would be stripping it completely down and inspecting everything , before it grenades itself.

For sure. The pan is going to come down to make sure there's nothing simple going on, then ill probably drop it out and go through it.

I think I did, I don't have an extra spring laying around after the install, but I will check that when I drop the pan, thanks! I'll check the sealing rings in the piston as well, I wonder if one leaking would give a similar issue. It definitely seems pressure path related.

You wont see the spring AJ is talking about just by dropping the pan. It's located under the valve body so you'd also have to drop the VB to see if it's there.

You wont see the spring AJ is talking about just by dropping the pan. It's located under the valve body so you'd also have to drop the VB to see if it's there.

Thanks, I will drop it and see if it's there while I'm in there. I think I remember putting it in, but the noise makes me less sure!

-
Back