727 or 904 tranny

-

6t3gt

Reaction score
I'm planning on swapping my slant six for a 318 on my 63 dart gt w/push button auto. Can I drop in the 318 and use my original 727 or should I upgrade to a 904 . Any suggestions or recomendation would greatly be appreciated

Your slant tranny will not bolt up to a v-8. They have different bell housings. Using a 727 in an early A requires some "massaging" around the pinchweld at the tunnel.(I've never done this only from previous posts) the 904 will drop in pretty easily. On my 63 I went with a floor mounted cable shifter and a bouchilon kick down linkage. I had to cut out and reshape the area where the bouchilon cable and brackets attached because they hit on the floorpan/tunnel area. Also you will need a new driveshaft that will be shorter, also I assume you have a ball and trunnion coupling that should be upgraded to spicer type universal joints.

I have a small block 727 push button rebuilt if your interested. I rebuilt it already, new clutch discs, bands, seals, shift kit, etc. Does not come with a torque converter, also has ball & trunion flange. PM me if you are and let me know where you're at.

904 should be just fine for 500hp or so!

What V8 are you planning on building Creeper?? If you go with a BB, you will probably need a 727. Being that you are new, you may want to ask a lot of ???'s. There are a lot of smart individuals on this site, I have found!! :)

I think Maverick has a small block push button 904 for sale. Send her a PM if you're interested.

She does and I know shes anxious to clear out some of the parts she has sitting.

I'm planning on swapping my slant six for a 318 on my 63 dart gt w/push button auto. Can I drop in the 318 and use my original 727 or should I upgrade to a 904 . Any suggestions or recomendation would greatly be appreciated

63 Dart used a 904 trans. A 727 is the bigger trans. Stay with a 904 trans, behind the 318, but it needs to be the V-8 unit, the slant six trans has a different belhousing then the V-8 trans. If you want to keep the PB shifter, you must use a 1964 V-8 904 trans. The other option is a 65 V-8 904 trans with a 64 valve body. You can keep the original driveshaft. Next option is a 66 newer V-8 904, but that requires a PB shifter unit modified by Imperial Services (expensive), and a different driveshaft.

Keep in mind the hole in the end of the crankshaft and the converter changed between 1967- and 1968. If using a late trans, you must have the late crankshaft or a custom made converter. If using a late crankshaft and a early trans, just get an adapter bushing for the crank (cheap).

Just got my 62 Lancer GT. Looking to do the same but with a 360. Been looking on ebay for a V8 904. No luck. Anyone know where to get one. Seems hard to find. Also anyone know about the factory/dealer installed Air option in the car. I have not found anything on it. Only ask because it seams the condenser is there in front of the Radiator but nothing else. So I do not know if it is an after market unit that was going to be added and never did or an option installed and removed by someone. How do you determine if you have an aluminum block.

Just got my 62 Lancer GT. Looking to do the same but with a 360. Been looking on ebay for a V8 904. No luck. Anyone know where to get one. Seems hard to find. Also anyone know about the factory/dealer installed Air option in the car. I have not found anything on it. Only ask because it seams the condenser is there in front of the Radiator but nothing else. So I do not know if it is an after market unit that was going to be added and never did or an option installed and removed by someone. How do you determine if you have an aluminum block.
With a magnet..... :)

a 727 will be tight against the top of the tunnel and there will me minimal shift lever room if going with a lever type tranny (66 or later). 904 fit great and no problems for anything 99% of street smallblocks can dish out. I'm puttiing a ungraded 360 infront of a beefed up 904 in my 65.

-
Back