727 output shaft/housing?

-

tbr3

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I scored a good 727 for $50 this weekend, but its out of a truck,(short output shaft and housing, 1975 1/2 ton). I would like to put this in my 64 Dart, but I know I need to change the rear housing and output shaft to the long skinny style. Has anyone done this, and do you know if those parts might be available somewhere?

Thanks!

Tom

Yes, it's been done many times. You will make out cheaper buying another 727 core and swapping parts. Check with A&A for prices on new parts if you want to go that way. Also, check their website for info on spline counts on different years.

Yeah, I hear ya,unfortunately they are very few and far between here,I'd have to drive hundreds of miles to get one.. Thanks for the info, I will take a look at A and A, lookslike a great website for 727's

Yes, you need to get a parts donor and take the transmission completely apart to do that.....hardly worth the trouble. Why not just use the transmission you have now? With a 904 you won't have the modify the firewall/hump pinch weld.

I am thinking about using my existing 904, but I figured the 727 is much stronger, I may go either way at this point..

the 904 is strong enough to handle 450 hp with just a good shift kit added. Plus it takes less power to spin it so you get more horsepower to the ground. Slightly better fuel mileage too. A little cheaper to build too. Unless your building a killer stroker I'd use the 904 you've got.

That makes sense, thanks,(will also be a lot easier to use my push button controls..)

Cool, I moved out here from Ebensburg 28 yrs ago.. Still miss PA!

-
Back