727 overdrive ???

-

DA4AD

Reaction score
Looking at picking up a 360 motor and 727 trans locally.
The seller is telling me it's an overdrive trans.
I didn't think Mopar made a 727 OD trans? I'm more of a manual trans guy so I'm not familiar with automatics.
FYI, the motor trans may end up in my '70 Cuda.

It's probably a later A518 trans, which is basically a 727 with od

heres pictures.
will this fit the factory tunnel (1970 Cuda)?
if it is an OD trans it would be good then I can run 4:10's.
:burnout:

Attachments

• 727.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 275
  • 727 2.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 256
RAM 518 OD will NOT fit your tunnel. But a 700R4 GM may if your leaning toward an auto. So will a Ford AOD. Both are designed from the ground up to be OD so their OD internals are "internal" not a bulky bolt on tailshaft rig.

AT best it may be a 727 with a lock up converter....

do you have a picture of the converter, or the front of the trans to see the input shaft?

RAM 518 OD will NOT fit your tunnel. But a 700R4 GM may if your leaning toward an auto. So will a Ford AOD. Both are designed from the ground up to be OD so their OD internals are "internal" not a bulky bolt on tailshaft rig.

So, does anyone make a kit to install the Ford transmission?

..I ran into a '68 hemi charger r/t with an extra gearbox or something like attached to the end of his 727 that that gave him 6 gears..

Even with a 3.23 diff, our engine is reving too high at 60 mph in my opinion so if anyone can find info on this, please post..

Any idea what year the trans/engine is? Lockup transmissions started to appear in 1978. Anything earlier, non lockup. Seller has probably been told in the past that it's an overdrive, because it's a lockup style transmission. Wish I had a buck for everytime I heard that a lockup was an overdrive and then I could go and get me a Hellcat Challenger.

..I ran into a '68 hemi charger r/t with an extra gearbox or something like attached to the end of his 727 that that gave him 6 gears..

Even with a 3.23 diff, our engine is reving too high at 60 mph in my opinion so if anyone can find info on this, please post..

The thing bolted on the back is from Gear Vendors. It's an overdrive, but just barely at .78 to 1. You can also get it as an under drive.

It can cause problems with driveline angles, they are very strong, but I've driven a car with one hooked to a 727 and didn't like how labor intensive and how difficult is was to time the splitting of each gear when trying to use it as the six speed they talk about. It would take a lot of practice to be able to go 1 low, 1st high, 2nd low, 2nd high, 3rd low and 3rd high; while blasting down the 1/4 mile. I ended up using it for the little bit of overdrive it is .78 to 1 helps, but its not nearly enough.

Best to skip the 700R4 as you need a $1000 transmission computer to run it, and they are bigger. A 200R4 is a smaller bolt in, you can run a one 12v wire lock-up or not. It's a 4speed OD with a 2.76 to 1, 1st gear and a .67 to 1 overdrive, Pic #1. They can hold up to 1000 +hp when built right and be bolted on to small blocks, big blocks and the new hemi's. I bought the 750 hp/ 650 ft lbs tq lighter duty version.

You still have to cut the crossmember to make room for the driver's side tunnel crossmember, and reinforce the area. You also have to make a new rear crossmember, and the rear mount.

If you want to run a 518 Mopar trans, you need to basically remove the entire tunnel section of the crossmember and reinforce the area Pic #2. You'll also need to make your own rear mount, or you can buy a Fontain's crossmember already made and tilt you engine/trans way down to clear the crossmember. Pic #3. I don't know how you would ever get the pinion angle correct, but some people are running them like this.

Attachments

• IMG_3547 (Large).jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 228
  • Mopar overdrive tunnel cutting.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 231
  • Fontana 518 x-member pic (Large).jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 228
-
Back