727 performance upgrade tricks

-

Tbone416

Reaction score
So I'm building my son a 727 for his Ramcharger I realize it's not a abody but I thought it would be okay my transmission background is from the dealerships have worked at so very little performance upgrade stuff stock 727, 46 and 47 RH's and RE's so my question is what's your little tricks to make one tougher should be running about a 2500 stall in it and it will be Street driven daily any advice you did will be greatly appreciated thanks and have a good day

The only upgrade I ever did to an automatic trans was on a 727. I thought the very simple MP “Shift Improver Kit” worked well. It firmed up the shifts nicely. Though in the 2.76 geared rear, it didn’t show the same POP it did like my buddies Duster that would spin/chirp the tires with a hopped up 318 & 3.91’s.

I also installed a MP deep pan. Just to help.
I also suggest a external cooler to help keep the fluid cooler and last longer.

My favorite 727 upgrade is installing 5 or 6 smooth .060 Red Eagle frictions in the direct clutch. The oem .060 forward frictions I guess can't take the heat, so thicker ones are in the direct pack. Also, thinner top plates are available on places like ebay and Amazon.

Thanks this is been really helpful anybody else got anything I would be happy to hear from you

The only upgrade I ever did to an automatic trans was on a 727. I thought the very simple MP “Shift Improver Kit” worked well. It firmed up the shifts nicely. Though in the 2.76 geared rear, it didn’t show the same POP it did like my buddies Duster that would spin/chirp the tires with a hopped up 318 & 3.91’s.

I also installed a MP deep pan. Just to help.
I also suggest a external cooler to help keep the fluid cooler and last longer.
Is that kit like the DC kit with the piston and blocker rod.
The DC kit with blocker rod provided tire chirping 2nd gear shifts.

Is that kit like the DC kit with the piston and blocker rod.
The DC kit with blocker rod provided tire chirping 2nd gear shifts.
Yes. A simple easy install. 1-2 was nice and firm with the 2.76’s. In my old buds Duster it was a tire spin fest. (Garbage Street tires.)
Turn up the line pressure a tad and installed a deep MP trans pan. Added a cooler for the long hauls and I was pretty OK with it! Made many trips up and down the seaboard. A lot of Western Virginia (Lynchburg area) and Ga. runs.

Yes. A simple easy install. 1-2 was nice and firm with the 2.76’s. In my old buds Duster it was a tire spin fest. (Garbage Street tires.)
Turn up the line pressure a tad and installed a deep MP trans pan. Added a cooler for the long hauls and I was pretty OK with it! Made many trips up and down the seaboard. A lot of Western Virginia (Lynchburg area) and Ga. runs.
I remember paying under 30 bucks for the DC kit back in 1979.
It was a very simple install and worked.
as I recall , the kickdown feature was eliminated. correct me if I'm wrong.

No it was retained. The trans worked as normal. The shift was improved.

Perhaps it was the “Shift kit” that is like the tran yo kit?

No it was retained. The trans worked as normal. The shift was improved.

Perhaps it was the “Shift kit” that is like the tran yo kit?
Did you install a blocker rod and crank line pressure max.
That's what I remember with my kit.

Did you install a blocker rod and crank line pressure max.
That's what I remember with my kit.
I installed the billet rod and new servo with ring.
The line pressure I played with a lot. I only twisted up the pressure a little bit. It seemed that it was a balance between more line pressure and readjusting the linkage to work as normal. If I adjusted the line pressure up to much, I could not adjust the linkage to reduce the shift point. It would be to high.

I don’t know what my buddy did on his exactly. He just said I turned up the line pressure. Higher the pressure, the higher the shift point. I noticed it was way to go to far. While it was a lot of turns to get a noticed result, the screw was able to be turned a lot.

I am NOT impressed with how he bangs parts together that shaft has several bearing surfaces

I AM impressed with some of the info re the 3 vs 5 clutch drums etc

This video goes before the one posted above

Note this trans was assembled with ZERO prelube. How in hell would the pump even prime?

Last edited:
Trans-Go reprogram shift kit.

Changes the shift plunger so that the pump pumps fluid in Park and Neutral to fill the torque converter on startup.

Helps to relieve the mopar trans morning sickness waiting for it to pump enough fluid to get into gear.

So in the first video he says about using the 47/48re front planetary gears. Is there a specific year that works?

-
Back