727 question

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
is there a huge difference between the earlier and later 727s

I found a rebuild kit source and they are asking if its a pre73 or post 73 which got me to thinking what would be different?

A lot is the same but, bushings, thrust washer size, and more that I forget. Just had 3 of them done. It does matter, so try to get the part number on the pan rail. I/we can help if you don't have the numbers.

Hi Rani, I went through this exercise (rebuilding my 727) last year and collected a lot of great info in this thread. I was new to the whole thing, so it's written from the perspective of really trying to understand the details and differences.

A727 Rebuild kits redux - Rebuild kits everywhere (62-70 vs 71+)

This is a excerpt (from Tracy) that may be more specific to your questions.

"Basic differences, the 66-70 had a 1/2 wide reaction shaft bushing(the one that's pressed into the front clutch hub) and different reaction shaft accordingly. 71-up had a 1" wide bushing, much more stable and lasts longer. Due to more stability the reaction shaft sealing rings also last longer. 71 and up also had a revised seal in the front clutch that lasts longer and seals better. 71-up had part throttle kickdown. If it's a street car it's a nice feature because torqueflite's with a shift kit are notorious for the kickdown not working good enough. If your like me and like to manual shift most of the time it's no big deal. The part throttle kickdown is a part of the valve body. I've heard you can bolt a part throttle kickdown module to a non part throttle VB but tried on one and it wouldn't fit. There are some variance in valve bodies so maybe you can on some but not others?? Again this is just a creature comfort item, not at all necessary.

BTW: To upgrade your trans. to a 71-up style all you have to do is swap in the front clutch drum and reaction shaft from a 71-73 model. Make sure you get a drum that holds 4 clutch discs, some only held 3. If you decide to upgrade to the newer stuff any later than 73 and parts interchange is hit or miss as they revised the rear clutch drum a few times and it may interfere with the reaction shaft. You could always swap out the rear drum assy. as well if you have the money. I do this on all serious high perf. applications but lower hp daily drivers I don't worry about.

The kit your looking at at CRT is a great kit but at 500 hp upgraded frictions aren't a must. I've used the kit Tony recommended and up to about 550 hp their good enough IMO, plus their more affordable.

Unless you get it for the same price there's no need to upgrade the rear band as it's not a shifting band, just a holding band. Since your going with a flex band up front I'd use a 3.8 lever. I use a 4.2 lever with solid bands only. If your using a high stall converter (2800 stall or above) another mod I do is to put a blocker rod under the accumulator. Firms up the 1-2 shift and reduces 2-3 shift overlap. Use 12 new springs in the front clutch pack. Yours may already have 12 but they loose they stiffness over time so need replaced. "
AlV

There was a lock up 727 not sure the years it locked the torque converter by a pump

by you saying "upgrade to a 71+ style" tells me the later ones are the ones to have ??

I know I have a few different years to choose from because there is a stack of 727s in the pile. I know one is 66 another is a 69 and two are 70 and a few others are 73+ and one is a 78. I know that is what is out there in my pile right off. I have always wondered which one would be best.

I am new to this because vast majority of my cars have been 3 and 4 speeds so I have never driven an auto very long so this is first time I am putting an auto in a car with intent to drive it long term

I like part throttle kickdown trans, but never had one. Also I
haven't seen any mention of 904 w/low first gear.

by you saying "upgrade to a 71+ style" tells me the later ones are the ones to have ?? I know I have a few different years to choose from because there is a stack of 727s in the pile. I know one is 66 another is a 69 and two are 70 and a few others are 73+ and one is a 78. I know that is what is out there in my pile right off. I have always wondered which one would be best. I am new to this because vast majority of my cars have been 3 and 4 speeds so I have never driven an auto very long so this is first time I am putting an auto in a car with intent to drive it long term

Yeah, I was rebuilding my numbers matching trans (which was of 69 vintage) so didn't change it but if I had my druthers I would choose the later model with part throttle kick down for better "driveability" plus the 1" reaction bushing for better durability and stability.

It is my understanding the you'll want to get the front servo from the earlier model (69) because they are designed better and apply pressure better.

I read somewhere about an aftermarket part throttle mechanism to retrofit the earlier 727's. I might consider it if mine gives me trouble.

Check out A & A Transmission, Lots of info and great to talk to. They also make a bunch of their own parts. They do the part throttle mechanism to retrofit the earlier 727's. Rani, What engine?

I like part throttle kickdown trans, but never had one. Also I
haven't seen any mention of 904 w/low first gear.

Don't all automatic transmissions kick down at part throttle as per demand of the engine requirements?

904's are not being discussed as this is a 727 thread.

ok, why do the later ones have a huge weight on the end of the tail shaft?

I found that the 78 is a runner and has not been out of the car long.

This is for use behind a mild stock 440

Don't all automatic transmissions kick down at part throttle as per demand of the engine requirements?

904's are not being discussed as this is a 727 thread.

From what I've read throttle pressure linkage ( kick down) engaged at WOT up through 70. The part throttle circuit was introduced in 71. A&A does make a part throttle retro fit kit for the earlier valve bodies.

Thanks guys! I didn't know that.

Rani, I have had that weight on the trans takin my Cordobas and Magnum. I removed it without I'll effect.

I think you are referring to the governor weight. That controls when shifts occur based on revolutions. Not needed for manual valve bodies. You can actually change the weight to tune your shift points.

I think you are referring to the governor weight. That controls when shifts occur based on revolutions. Not needed for manual valve bodies. You can actually change the weight to tune your shift points.

I bet she's talking about the huge 10 lb bolt on cast iron weight that's bolted to the very end of the tailshaft. You usually only found them in bigger cars. They are a vibration damper. Here's a picture of one

Attachments

• Trans damper 3.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 135
I bet she's talking about the huge 10 lb bolt on cast iron weight that's bolted to the very end of the tailshaft. You usually only found them in bigger cars. They are a vibration damper. Here's a picture of one

you beat me to the pic .....that's exactly what I am talking about. I have three trans cores with them and I checked and they are all later ones 75+

... I found that the 78 is a runner and has not been out of the car long. This is for use behind a mild stock 440

I'd bet you could replace the gaskets and seals (all of them), adjust the bands, change filter and fluid, add a 10 3/4 torque convertor (flush it to make sure it is clean), bump the pressure, and be good for the next 200K miles.

Check to see if the 78 trans. is a lockup or non-lockup style transmission.

Ahh...got ya :)

-
Back