727 questions

-

85D150

Reaction score
I have a 1985 Dodge D150. I have a shift kit for and a rebuild kit also for it. If I was to have this rebuilt and went with a manual valve body can you do burnouts safely without the tranny exploding??? Anything u can do to make it safer if u were to do that?

Anything u can do to make it safer if u were to do that?

Very good trans....very tough trans.
Recommended safety upgrades are bolt in sprag, better material (no powdered iron) for front clutch, and an explosion shield that covers front of trans/flex plate area.
There are a couple good books on 727 rebuild and upgrade.

I’m thinking about just putting a reverse manual valve body in it. Can u still do burnouts etc….

You can do burnouts in a stone stock 727, you simply need to know HOW. Very simple. Make it spin COMPLETELY THROUGH the 2nd gear shift and it will be fine. If you allow it to hook up ON the 1-2 shift, that's when you might have trouble. You will VERY likely never have issues at the power level you are talking about from reading your other threads.

So when it hooks up 2nd in second it will shift back to first and that’s where the problem comes in and only the sprag (overrunning clutch) is the only thing to stop the geartrain from spinning. Then it rips out the sprag. If u manually shift it back to first b4 it does it automatically u will apply the rear band and save the sprag. A tranny explosion can and will happen sooner or later if your burnout is not done properly. Kim

So when it hooks up 2nd in second it will shift back to first and that’s where the problem comes in and only the sprag (overrunning clutch) is the only thing to stop the geartrain from spinning. Then it rips out the sprag. If u manually shift it back to first b4 it does it automatically u will apply the rear band and save the sprag. A tranny explosion can and will happen sooner or later if your burnout is not done properly. Kim
Exactly.

Does that include dry pavement? And will a "chirp" in 2nd be sufficient? Or do you need to roll it hard? Asking for a fried, errr, friend ..

Yeah, it's just not a hard problem to overcome.

So just don't fire it off in Drive and keep in her? Sounds like a simple solution. I was thinking about a MVB for the Duster, but that was 2 years ago. Things are getting tight now...

So just don't fire it off in Drive and keep in her? Sounds like a simple solution. I was thinking about a MVB for the Duster, but that was 2 years ago. Things are getting tight now...
The trick is, if you're going to go through the gears doing a burnout not to let the car hook up shifting into 2nd gear. Just make it spin THROUGH the shift. I don't know how else to explain it. If the car hooks going INTO 2nd gear, that's when trouble can happen.

The trick is, if you're going to go through the gears doing a burnout not to let the car hook up shifting into 2nd gear. Just make it spin THROUGH the shift. I don't know how else to explain it. If the car hooks going INTO 2nd gear, that's when trouble can happen.
Gotcha! So if Your ride had some nuts, you should be able to blast into 2nd. Or just let out of it in 1st...

Thanks for Explaining That! I talked to a place about buying a MVB 2 years ago, and they "Recommended" ALOT or extra Parts, that = well over an extra grand. Plus a book and some tools....I just wanted to control my shifts like a stick.... I didn't know I had to build a tank!

Ok can a manual valve body be installed without pulling the tranny and doing a rebuild? The motor is going to have around 375 hp when it’s done. And I will just run the converter that’s in it for now

And basically then if u have manual valve body and want to do a burnout on a dry pavement not at the strip…… either just stay in first and do it and let off or rip it into 2nd while doing the burnout in first???

You can do burnouts in a stone stock 727, you simply need to know HOW. Very simple. Make it spin COMPLETELY THROUGH the 2nd gear shift and it will be fine. If you allow it to hook up ON the 1-2 shift, that's when you might have trouble. You will VERY likely never have issues at the power level you are talking about from reading your other threads.
Truck will be getting newer style Magnum heads and a cam along with headers and the intake swap and carb toward the end of August. I have a guy who is gonna help me and he is doing the heads now. So I’m thinking 350-375 hp depending on cam etc…. He will figure more out for me as we get closer to August. He is knowledgeable at building small blocks

Truck will be getting newer style Magnum heads and a cam along with headers and the intake swap and carb toward the end of August. I have a guy who is gonna help me and he is doing the heads now. So I’m thinking 350-375 hp depending on cam etc…. He will figure more out for me as we get closer to August. He is knowledgeable at building small blocks
You'll never break that transmission if you follow some simple advice. But it's your money. Waste it like you want to. lol

You'll never break that transmission if you follow some simple advice. But it's your money. Waste it like you want to. lol
I’m trying to follow advice and asking questions cause I don’t know that’s why I’m asking. The kickdown is all screwed up and I think I just wanna go with a manual valve body

I’m trying to follow advice and asking questions cause I don’t know that’s why I’m asking. The kickdown is all screwed up and I think I just wanna go with a manual valve body
Then put one in it! I'm simply telling you that you don't HAVE to unless it's something you want and obviously it is so go for it!

RRR is correct in that you are asking about two things that are somewhat unrelated to each other.... You seem like you asked how to safely do it, then looks like you arent going to bother with any of that lol, now the kickdown is screwed up (how?, lets fix it), but you have consistently asked about a valve body and burnouts.....Trucks are light on the A$$, it'll do burnouts, I Gar-Un-Tee lol. Spend your money on a roll-control, it'll do 'em all day long!!

RRR is correct in that you are asking about two things that are somewhat unrelated to each other.... You seem like you asked how to safely do it, then looks like you arent going to bother with any of that lol, now the kickdown is screwed up (how?, lets fix it), but you have consistently asked about a valve body and burnouts.....Trucks are light on the A$$, it'll do burnouts, I Gar-Un-Tee lol. Spend your money on a roll-control, it'll do 'em all day long!!
I asked about doing a burnout with a manual valve body and not blowing the tranny. My question was answered. Sorry if I have ruffled feathers or something I’m not a expert.

Usually the KD is set at all the way back when the carb is all the way open. You could rob a cable off a Schwinn 10-speed and do just as well as all that floppycrap Mopar just luvs..

-
Back