727 small block shifting issues

-

unicornhole

Reaction score
my 67 barracuda with a 340 and 727 is not shifting into 2nd gear. it just winds up. any ideas on what is causing it?

Step 1, make sure the kickdown linkage is adjusted correctly.

If you have recently been into it, could be the problem.

☆☆☆☆☆

Step 2

Check trans fluid that it is showing 1/2 way between add and full mark on the stick idling in neutral.

Check the color of the fluid is it bright Pink or wore out brown that smells burnt?

☆☆☆☆☆

Step 3

Drop the trans pan and see what's sitting in the bottom of it, and if it has a magnet see what is stuck to that too.

Good time to adjust the bands to the proper inch pounds then back off turns adjustment > both bands.

Check the filter, could be plugged. Good time for a new filter and fluid change if things don't look totally shot.

☆☆☆☆☆

Step 2

Check trans fluid that it is showing 1/2 way between add and full mark on the stick idling in neutral.

Check the color of the fluid is it bright Pink or wore out brown that smells burnt?

☆☆☆☆☆
fluid is brand new. was at the low mark. added half a pint. doesn't have a burnt smell.

Step 3

Drop the trans pan and see what's sitting in the bottom of it, and if it has a magnet see what is stuck to that too.

Good time to adjust the bands to the proper inch pounds then back off turns adjustment > both bands.

Check the filter, could be plugged. Good time for a new filter and fluid change if things don't look totally shot.

☆☆☆☆☆
never opened a transmission up but i'm not opposed to buying a book and tearing into it.

never done it but i'm sure a youtube video can walk me through it.

Tell ya something about that trans.
If second gear isn’t available for some mechanical reason it will skip right to third.
The fact that yours stays in first usually means a sticking valve in the valve body or governor.

While running in first what does it do when you let off the throttle?
Does it have engine braking, or just act like it’s in neutral?

Tell ya something about that trans.
If second gear isn’t available for some mechanical reason it will skip right to third.
The fact that yours stays in first usually means a sticking valve in the valve body or governor.

While running in first what does it do when you let off the throttle?
Does it have engine braking, or just act like it’s in neutral?
Engine braking When off throttle.

Engine braking When off throttle.

Then something is likely sticking in the valve body or governor.
Like for example a planetary gear set with failing needle bearings circulates fine metal dust though the valve body and governor sticking valves.

-
Back