727 surging in 1st and 3rd

-

MOPARCODY

Reaction score
My buddy has a non lock up 727 that has a surging issue in 1st and 3rd gear, if you're driving at a steady pace it seems like the trans is slipping then hooking up. We put a cheetah partial manual valve body in it and it didn't fix the problem. I'm not a trans guy whatsoever but if like to figure it out without having to pay someone. Any help is appreciated

It's possible that the converter is loosing it, but if the fluid is nice and red and does not smell burned it's probably the tuning and not the trans at all.
They don't slip without burning the fluid unless it's the converter.

Trans fluid is clean, tunes is solid. It has new plugs wires and carb rebuilt by me 7 degrees of timing. Trans even did it with the old 318 in it. I'm leaning more towards the 1 way roller bearing being bad

Trans fluid is clean, tunes is solid. It has new plugs wires and carb rebuilt by me 7 degrees of timing. Trans even did it with the old 318 in it. I'm leaning more towards the 1 way roller bearing being bad

They don't use them in drive 3.

It has new plugs wires, carb rebuilt by me, 7 degrees of timing. Trans even did it with the old 318 in it.

If it did it before I'd lean towards the tranny.

To me it sounds like a timing issue. Was the dizzy in the old 318. What's the total timing curve? 7 degrees initial IMO is low and doesn't tell the whole timing story. What's the total timing and when is it all in by?

I had the same issue you are having with my old 340 car. TIming was the culprit.

If it did it before I'd lean towards the tranny.

To me it sounds like a timing issue. Was the dizzy in the old 318. What's the total timing curve? 7 degrees initial IMO is low and doesn't tell the whole timing story. What's the total timing and when is it all in by?

I had the same issue you are having with my old 340 car. TIming was the culprit.

ill give it a shot. it has a mild 340 in it now with a set of j heads a performer intake and a little holley 650 dp. it also has the mpp distributor with a msd box. now that i think of it the dizzy and msd were on the old motor. if i remember correctly 7 degrees initial yields around 30 overall. ill bump it up to around 9 and see what happens. my adjustable timing light just took a crap so im just using a cheapo so i dont know exactly what the overall timing will be

MSD multi-strike boxes don't like electronic dial-back lites. Rev it up to see where the timing peaks at, then set the timing to 35* +/- 1, at or above that rpm,and let the idle timing fall where it may.
If your dizzy has a vacuum advance can on it, be sure to hook it up, when done.
I would do the timing stuff first, cuz it's cheap and easy, and will show results right away

Before you pull the tranny, make absolutely sure the fluid level is up, cuz from the description, it really sounds like the pump is sucking air. Level ground, hot,neutral,correct dipstick,correct dipstick anchor location.
By the description, it's hard to imagine a clutch or band issue. Fluid level,a pump,or the VB,those I could see.
The reason to swap out the TC, while the tranny is out, is so that you can rule out both together. If the surge is gone with the swapped-in parts,then you may want to swap the TC back in to prove it's Ok. Or not.

I agree that it sounds more like an engine issue but if you don't find a problem there before I swapped out the trans I'd drop the pan and make sure the filter is tight. If the last person in it didn't tighten it down good it may have vibrated loose and is sucking air.

ill give it a shot. it has a mild 340 in it now with a set of j heads a performer intake and a little holley 650 dp. it also has the mpp distributor with a msd box. now that i think of it the dizzy and msd were on the old motor. if i remember correctly 7 degrees initial yields around 30 overall. ill bump it up to around 9 and see what happens. my adjustable timing light just took a crap so im just using a cheapo so i dont know exactly what the overall timing will be

There's the culprits.

Bump the timing to 13 degrees initial and get the dizzy re-curved or buy an MSD. Also, during your testing unhook the vacuum advance.

The MPP dizzy's have insane advance curves in them. I won't get into the quality issues. Their junk.

MSD multi-strike boxes don't like electronic dial-back lites.

Correct, do not use a dial back light. Matter of fact it says not to right in their manuals.

-
Back