727 TC Installed - Probably Wrong...

-
Well, I am going to pull the trans this week or at least this weekend anyway. I will post some pics. I think it is installed correctly.
unless you haven't finished the trans install - shifter not hooked up, lines not connected, driveshaft not in, etc. - you may find it easier to pull the engine.. hell, you're already about 1/2 way there right now.. JM2C

unless you haven't finished the trans install - shifter not hooked up, lines not connected, driveshaft not in, etc. - you may find it easier to pull the engine.. hell, you're already about 1/2 way there right now.. JM2C

I thought about that. I finally have the engine all connected which is part of the reason I am hesitant in pulling both together.

I had the engine and trans pretty much ready to go finally and was getting ready to start priming the engine when I found out it would not turn over anymore.

After disconnecting everything last night for the trans, I think at this point it would be easier to just take the trans out and leave the engine all connected.

I thought from recollection.... but could be wrong, that the dished center of the flexplate put the torque converter bolts closer to the block. It looks like yours is dished away from the block. And yes... I dont think all the crank bolts would go in.

I thought about that. I finally have the engine all connected which is part of the reason I am hesitant in pulling both together.

I had the engine and trans pretty much ready to go finally and was getting ready to start priming the engine when I found out it would not turn over anymore.

After disconnecting everything last night for the trans, I think at this point it would be easier to just take the trans out and leave the engine all connected.
yea - at this point I agree

I might just be a bit late posting this if you already have the trans back in the car. But it still maybe a guide for anyone else refitting their transmission. Here is a correctly sitting Converter in a 727 it is exactly 30mm or 1.181 inches from the bell housing flange to the starter ring gear.

29277906iz.jpg

29277932ck.jpg

Cheers. Gaz

Here are a couple pics from the internet that show correctly installed flex plates. I didnt know it was possible but it sure looks like yours is on backwards.

images.jpg

download (1).jpg

I think the angle of the picture must have just been weird. Looks like it's on there correctly.

Got the trans out tonight. Going to take it in for inspection tomorrow.

IMG_20170525_185417227.jpg

IMG_20170525_185432371.jpg

IMG_20170525_185622068.jpg

Alright! How about an update and some questions.

Got the trans back today. They replaced the pump gears due to my incorrect installation of the TC originally.

Decided to put the trans in tonight. Definitely put the TC on correctly this time. Got the trans mounted and began bolting the TC to the Flywheel ...

I attached 2 of the 4 TC to Flywheel bolts. Went to turn the engine and trans over and it only turns over a very small amount. Not enough to reach the other bolts.

Is there something else here? I tried all gears and the result was the same.

Should I have tried spinning the TC with it mounted on the trans before installation? Is there something else that might be wrong with the trans?

The bolts, when installed, are very close to the back of the block. They require a "thin" head. Some aftermarket bolts may not be thin enough.

If you have the proper bolts they shouldn't contact the back of the block, but will untill they are tight or near tight.

I usually start one and run it in untill it bottoms, the back it out1/4 to 1/2 turn and repeat this procedure untill all four are in, then do a final tighten on them all.

It is possible that if the bolts are too long they are bottoming in the holes and sit proud even though they appear to be tight. If they are proud, once again, they can contact the back of the block and restrict engine rotation.

You may have something else going on. With no bolts in the converter, you should be able to spin the converter. It might drag on the engine crank register, but it should go all way around. "Just because" of the trouble you've had, I'd turn the engine round one turn to make sure IT is not the issue

Next, already mentioned, is the proper bolts. These are not "common" bolts, they are thin head, "made for the job" and grade 8

I don't understand how you "got here." How did you ever get the converter bolted up to start with? Did you try and bolt it to the engine first?

There wouldn't happen to be a pilot bushing or bearing in the crank would there?

I think I will have to disconnect the trans and TC again unfortunately.

Then I will confirm the engine turns over freely by itself, which I have not had a problem with yet.

If my understanding is correct, the TC should rotate on the transmission shaft when it is fully seated. Is this correct? Does it matter what gear the transmission is in?

I think I will have to disconnect the trans and TC again unfortunately.

Then I will confirm the engine turns over freely by itself, which I have not had a problem with yet.

If my understanding is correct, the TC should rotate on the transmission shaft when it is fully seated. Is this correct? Does it matter what gear the transmission is in?

Both should turn independently before bolting up the TC. Gearing should not matter, as it is hydraulic, and there's no pressure. This is why you cannot push start most modern automatics.......only the early ones with a rear pump, which is spun by the driveshaft

Update for everyone:

I was out of town for ~10 days on vacation. Just picked up the transmission today from the shop. They said that when they replaced the pump gears that they installed them backwards. Now it is fixed and ready to be installed again. Hoping to get it in by Sunday.

Hopefully the last time it is being installed for awhile...

The pump gears are ambidextrous.......you can flip them 180, there is no backwards. At least in the pumps that I have seen. Just sayin.....

Hmm.. I honestly don't know.

Good news it that I did double check before leaving and TC spins freely now.

-
Back