727 Torque Converter Recommendations??

-

440Scamp71

Reaction score
So I finished my 727 tranny rebuild and it's time for a torque converter. The car will have a 440 stroker with a 3.23 rear end and 27.5 inch tires. The cams specs are 226 duration and .47 valve lift. When I typed this into a engine rpm it said my cruise rpm at 60 mph would be about 2368 rpm.
So this brings me to the question of what stall do i need?
I'm looking at torque converters in the 2400-2500 range but i fear of over heating. I plan to add a transmission fluid cooler so would that cover it?
Any thoughts on this converter?
Thanks!!

I wouldn't cheap out and buy an off the shelf converter, but if I had to, that would be the one I would run. I researched them pretty extensively with my 408 and ended having a custom converter built. But I haven't heard any bad things about the Hughes converters.

I used Edge Torque Converters for my 408... great street manners but stalls good when needed. I have a trans temp gauge and it stays under 150º in hot weather. Go billet if you can. Fill out their "Request info" and talk to Andre.

So I finished my 727 tranny rebuild and it's time for a torque converter. The car will have a 440 stroker with a 3.23 rear end and 27.5 inch tires. The cams specs are 226 duration and .47 valve lift. When I typed this into a engine rpm it said my cruise rpm at 60 mph would be about 2368 rpm.
I'm looking at torque converters in the 2400-2500 range but i fear of over heating. I plan to add a transmission fluid cooler so would that cover it?
Thanks!!
I would go to the Hughes website and click on the box where it says fill out tech card. Give them the information they're looking for and see what they recommend. By doing this, you're dealing directly with the people that actually make the converter. You may have to go to one of their dealers to buy the converter however, but now you know exactly what the company says to use. A billet converter can in some instances ( drag racing for example) be a worthwhile investment. You can ask Hughes about that, but if you're not into drag racing, I can see no reason to go to the additional expense for a billet mounting cover. JMHO
On the cooler, yes, add one to your cooling system. Past experience has shown that with the addition of any high stall converter, a transmission cooler is a smart decision. The best one to use is the radiator style made by Long Manufacturing. They are sold under a variety of names, including B & M and others. The old fin and tube style may be cheaper, but not as efficient as the radiator style.

Dynamic convertors. Talk to Frank Lupo tell him what you have. I've use him for more years than most here have been alive! 1-302-454-9203

I really like hughes, great street converters. I also have had good luck with performance automatic. for a race converter, I like ATI.

boss hog, TCI, and B&M are on my "Never" list.

A&A Transmissions (Rick Allison) . He's been building 727 converters forever . I have a 9 1/2" in my '72 Scamp (about 2800 stall) Love it

Thanks!!
That’s the value of stall that I’m running in my .030-360 w/a Hdy. roller intake duration of 224@050 w/3.55’s and a 26 inch tire.
For a street vehicle.....
Always stall a few hundred rpm more than the cams rated beginning RPM range. It would actually be better if you had a dyno curve to look at.
P.S. My converter has s a custom unit by Pro Torque, worth every cent & down the street from me.
ProTorque High Performance Drag Racing Torque Converters
I suggest speaking to a pro shop.

Do cheap out on a converter, if it comes apart u will need to redo ur tranny also. Plus u r missing out on better performance and reliability. Kim

I really like hughes, great street converters. I also have had good luck with performance automatic. for a race converter, I like ATI.

boss hog, TCI, and B&M are on my "Never" list.
Sounds like you have some worthwhile experience with TC, I dont!... So I was wondering what you think about Coan TCs? As I have a new one ready but not yet installed. Thanks

Sounds like you have some worthwhile experience with TC, I dont!... So I was wondering what you think about Coan TCs? As I have a new one ready but not yet installed. Thanks
70 hardtop, I haven't dealt with a company called Coan. sorry.

I have used Coan converters on my drag cars with good results. Never used them on the street.
I now have a street / strip car and it has a hughes 4000 stall....upgraded to H-D unit.
Works good and good customer service

Thanks!!
your stall speed will be in your tires

im using hughes 3000, no issues
I`m usinga 3500 hughs , behind a 505'' wedge , its a little looser behind the 505 ... 12ish yrs , no problem...
that being said , I have a few friends with 68 barracudas that are faster then mine , they all said ''have one built , dont cheap out " on the convertor .
I cheaped out , back when the 3500 was $386 from Summit ...

-
Back