727 trans E-body donor

-

b5duster340

Reaction score
Can I use a 727 sb trans from a 73 Cuda floor shift - to a column shift 71 Duster . The guy was telling me that there is a difference in the tailshaft and I should research before buying. I thought there was just BB and SB 727 trans. and a shorter tail for trucks.

You can use it. The only difference is some car tailshaft ext. housings don't have the lower mounting points for a factory floor shift. Being it came from a floor shift car it must have those mounts but even if it didn't you have a column shift so it wouldn't matter.

Only one other thing comes to mind. I think only 340 Dusters used a 727 so unless yours is a 340 car your driveshaft, trans. cooler lines, and linkage may not be correct

I see your new. Welcome to the board

Hey thanks alot - I think it will work ok also just wanted to hear it from an A body guy(this is my first ) - im doing a conversion from slant six so I have a lot of stuff to do - I picked up an A body rear all redone . I just want to drop the motor and trans and rear and measure up for a new drive shaft.

Fishy may not have made this absolutely clear. Your slant will be a 904. Whether /6 or V8, 904 tails are a bit shorter than 727s, so your original driveshaft won't fit. Neither will the slip yoke.

Fishy may not have made this absolutely clear. Your slant will be a 904. Whether /6 or V8, 904 tails are a bit shorter than 727s, so your original driveshaft won't fit. Neither will the slip yoke.

Thanks for pointing that out Del. I mentioned the driveshaft but didn't elaborate on it. Forgot to mention the yoke is different.

yes I plan on getting the engine /trans mounted and the 8 3/4 rear then taking measurements and ordering a new custom driveshaft. I just wanted to hear from someone else before I went ahead and made the purchase. Anyway update: I bought a rebuilt A727 trans that was never installed but sitting in a garage for 6 yrs. Its a gamble but it looks legit from the new pump, seals old grease on the shaft and plugs all capped. He was asking $400 - I ended up getting it for $350, it didn't have a converter or dipstick. I bought a rebuilt on ebay from torqueflite Patty -2400 stall for $200. Also bought a new aftermarket locking dipstick for $50. Thanks for the help guys. I work as a mechanic (25 yrs) but haven't been in the mopar seen since the 90's so im rusty on knowledge.

-
Back