727 up shift flares under moderate to WOT

-

jorgy84

Reaction score
Hey every one I'm having trans issues with my 727 I just installed in my 74 dart. It seams to shift just fine under low to moderate throttle any thing over that it flares when shifting. The harder you stand on it the worse it is. At WOT I'm not sure if it will complete a 2-3 **** it hits my rev limiter and I back off and only did that once don't want to damage my fresh 360 or tranny if it isn't already. Trans is a fresh rebuild with a TCI shift improver kit otherwise stock. Throttle kickdown is set to full movement at WOT. The pressure valve spacing on the valve body is 1 9/32 as the kit specifies. Any and all help is very much appreciated.

So, are you saying that when the throttle is WOT, then the little TP-lever on the tranny, is fully to the rear?

If yes then the next step is to check the tranny's pump pressure output. And then the oil-pressure to the servo for the second-gear band.

You may need nothing more than a KD band adjustment. If the pressure is there, then it's adjustment time. You can do this from the outside of the tranny,so, you may wish to check it first.

Last edited:
Fluid level?

Seriously. Check the fluid level. If it starves the pan cause it's low. It can hang onto the shifts.

Well I tore my valve body out tore it down compared it to another one I had. Knowing it was a good possibility I screwed up well come to find out I put my high pressure relief spring and ball in wrong. Putting it back together now will post results later tonight or tomorrow night. Thanks for all the help so far.

So as it turns out that isn't a good thing to do. It shifts awesome now. I hope this mistake helps somebody else out down the road. Thanks AJ/forms and lustle for your help.

I have a A 500 in my Dakota that experiences 1-2 flare. I am hopeful that a band adjustment takes care of it. Time for a tranny service anyway. Thanks for the reminder.

-
Back