727?

-
I think I said racers,and was referring to running an alum drum in a race set up. Have no clue how an alum drum would hold up on the street but;there are probably stock factory trannies with em now.

Ive had a lot of 904's give up in my street cars,but not one 727 so I guess Im prejudiced,lol!

I think I said racers,and was referring to running an alum drum in a race set up. Have no clue how an alum drum would hold up on the street but;there are probably stock factory trannies with em now.

Ive had a lot of 904's give up in my street cars,but not one 727 so I guess Im prejudiced,lol!

I saw a twin turbo setup on a slant six that used the normal space for the starter for the back exhaust manifold and rear turbo, and asked some prople where the starter was going to be, and they said there is truck application that places the starter much lower than the normal bell housing. Has anyone seen anything like that?

the lower starter you speak of is on a100 pickups that had a small block 727 with an adapter plate or the pickups with the heavy duty 4 speed

the 904 is plenty heavy behind a slant I have a pickup that has nearly 500 crank horspower and weighed 3700#,the 904 never gave out. I did install later model a500 front internals for the lower gearset and 5 clutch third.

BUT if you are bent on a 727 for a slant I have 2 and decided not to use them

"the lower starter you speak of is on a100 pickups that had a small block 727 with an adapter plate or the pickups with the heavy duty 4 speed"

Thanks for that information. I have a 904 behind my supercharged 360 Magnum (445 rwhp) and it works very well... never complains.

My transmission guy, a race tranny/converter builder for 30 years, told me that a well-built 904 should handle 700 HP nicely... and that the problem with 727's in that the internal rotating parts are so heavy that the transmission (when subjected to high rpm operation/shifting,) literally tears itself up with all the starting and stopping of the rotating parts; it's not the power going through it that causes them to fail... this from a guy who makes his living building them.

Just my 2-cents...

The biggest problem with the 727 is the overrunning clutch. The 727 seems to have a higher failure rate there and I have always believed that's because of the higher internal mass which puts more load on the overrunning clutch. I've seen less failure there in 904s. Of course, this might be merely coincidence.

Aluminum drums for a street car = TH 200 ... what a turd that was .

aluminum drums in race applications is okay , however .

-
Back