72swinger 318 cuts out at WOT

-
Reaction score
Hello, first post here, i'm from indianapolis, and i'm looking at buying a dart that a guy has for sale on craigslist. it's a 72 swinger, 318 automatic. it's in ok shape, has the usual surface rust on the lower 1/4 panels, and a bit in the trunk, etc. but it's not totally busted by any means. according to the guy selling it, it's a stock 318, and he put on headers, 3" exhaust straight pipes into dual flowmasters that are right underneath the back seats, and thats where the exhaust ends.

i started it up, and it started right up just fine, and sounded really, really good. very deep and throaty for what i expected from a 318, and almost sounded like it had a cam in it, because it had that really lobey kind of sound to it.

so then i drove it around a bit, and it drove excellent, except that when i would go wide open throttle on it, it would climb for a couple seconds, then cut out, and by cut out i mean like it would be practically dead silent for half a second and lose all power and all momentum, but then start climbing thru the rpms again just fine after that half second.

any ideas what that could be? i'm kind of new to mopar, and new to this engine, and was curious before i bought it if anybody had any ideas.

i used to have a 70 swinger 340, and had to sell it when our son was born, well he's 8years old now, and we want to get another swinger. theres a real good price tag on this car, the guy was originally selling it at $6000 and hes just a young kid, maybe 18 years old, and needs the money, and dropped his price to $3000 for me, BUT, i don't want to buy it and have the cutting out issue be something major.

what i think it could be, with my limited knowledge, is that it still has a stock 2bbl on it, and i wonder if after he added the headers, and bigger straight exhaust if at W.O.T. it's pushing too much air, and the stock 2bbl can't keep up, so it is cutting out, but i don't really have any idea.

thanks for the help, and regardless of if this is the car for us, or if another one comes along, we will be getting another A body, and hope to stick around these boards for all the usefull info, and great looking rides!

brian

It sounds like he put a 4bbl on it, and sec's are bogging it(mech with a screw in it). Ask him.

It sounds like he put a 4bbl on it, and sec's are bogging it(mech with a screw in it). Ask him.

The post says it still has the 2bbl, but it does sound like a carburator issue whether its too much air and not enough fuel or too much fuel and not enough air..seems it would need the carb to go with that free flowing exhaust. Hang a Holley two bbl on it and it'll probably be OK or go to a 4bbl.
Could be a loose wire somewhere too when you apply torque it opens monmentarily but I would look at the carb first.

The post says it still has the 2bbl, but it does sound like a carburator issue whether its too much air and not enough fuel or too much fuel and not enough air..seems it would need the carb to go with that free flowing exhaust. Hang a Holley two bbl on it and it'll probably be OK or go to a 4bbl.
Could be a loose wire somewhere too when you apply torque it opens monmentarily but I would look at the carb first.
check excel punp pull air cleaner with engine off and look down carb pump linkage should a good soild stream of gas if not there your problem

Sounds like fuel starvation. The fuel sock in the tank may be restricted or the fuel pump weak...

nah,problem won`t be the headers,could be fuel,but is more like you have an issue with wiring,had that happen to me ended up being a wire shorted to the air box under the hood,Ikept replacing the fuse and it would run fine around the pits,go up to make a pass and as soon as it would launch,the engine would die,your eyes are your best tool,good luck.

My 71 318 Swinger has the same problem, In my carb the fuel pump in the carb is seized in so when i step on it its the same problem, if you disasemble the carb you can look down and see where it is :) hope this helps

Read first post; think a 2 bbl. We have to know what carb is on it. Pic would work.

hey thanks for all the replies everyone. i actually found a 65 dart that i was much more please with both cosmetically, and mechanically. it's just a 225 slant six, but runs strong, and was a great price. i posted a photo of it in the introductions section. now to start cleaning it up further, and doing some mods to it.

Sounds like fuel starvation. The fuel sock in the tank may be restricted or the fuel pump weak...

Happened to me then I find out the fuel sock was original and clogged up. If the vent in the gas tank is clogged and not letting air in that can cause problems too.

-
Back