73 /6 PS: Correct way to purge air from box?

-

RGAZ

Diehard
Reaction score
From the forum search I found the following:

Raise front of vehicle with engine off.
Turn wheel all the way left. (engine off)
Top off pump.
Slowly turn wheel stop to stop about 20-40 times. (engine off)
Check fluid level. (engine off)
Done.
Start engine.

So I have now conducted this procedure twice and I still get the same result (steering turns left itself at startup).

So is there another way or am I missing something.

FYI - Air got into the box because I replaced a seal on the input shaft that was leaking. I only removed the input shaft section to change that one seal.

Thanks,
RGAZ

Jack up the front of the car till front wheels are off the ground.. There's two bolts holding the fitting that's on the top power steering box, where hose goes on, theyre 7/16.. just slightly loosen those bolts, start engine, DON'T PUT YOUR ARM THRU THE WHEEL, INJURY MAY OCCUR ! - and gently tap the fitting either backward, or forward, the wheels will tend to go one way or the other, adjust till wheel has no bias, left or right. that will adjust your problem.. that's how to centre the "feedback".
Don't move wheel lock to lock till tightening those bolts.
You must have accidentally moved that fitting...
Good luck .

IMG_20231030_095500.jpg

Last edited:
From the forum search I found the following:

Raise front of vehicle with engine off.
Turn wheel all the way left. (engine off)
Top off pump.
Slowly turn wheel stop to stop about 20-40 times. (engine off)
Check fluid level. (engine off)
Done.
Start engine.

So I have now conducted this procedure twice and I still get the same result (steering turns left itself at startup).

So is there another way or am I missing something.

FYI - Air got into the box because I replaced a seal on the input shaft that was leaking. I only removed the input shaft section to change that one seal.

Thanks,
RGAZ

Inertia hit it on the nose.

FYI, all I ever do to bleed the steering system is to fill it about half way and turn lock to lock a few times running, then fill to about 3/4 full.

I do the bleed with it half full because the air in it can cause a foam up and overflow making a mess.

I did get the foam up issue too. My steering box does not look like the one in the picture. Maybe I am missing something, but I will get a picture of it tonight and post it to confirm the bolts you are referring to.

Thanks for the help, I felt like I was just going in circles! (pun intended)

RGAZ

I did get the foam up issue too. My steering box does not look like the one in the picture. Maybe I am missing something, but I will get a picture of it tonight and post it to confirm the bolts you are referring to.

Thanks for the help, I felt like I was just going in circles! (pun intended)

RGAZ

There are misc versions of that fitting to accommodate ....
The "boxes" are pretty much the same.
Any foam will settle out overnight.
Good for you .

So to confirm:

Jack car up.

Start car.

Loosen two star-head bolts in pictures.

Tap or slide assembly front to back? Is there really that much play there?

I don't think I loosened those bolts, but I will give it a shot.

RGAZ

PS box.jpg

PS valve.jpg

Slightly loosen, gently tap to find "center", it should move both front or back, - you "find" center .
Doesn't take much movement.

Thanks for this guys. I conducted this last weekend and while it improved the center, its still slightly off and to the right. I loosened and tapped and it appeared to not move any further. I loosened a little more and that was a mistake. It sprayed fluid out from under the valve, so I quickly had to tighten. Now the best I can get is it slightly turning right.

Is this the only adjustment?

You don't adjust the valve to center the steering wheel. It has nothing to do with that.

I am not centering the wheel. What I am trying to solve is when I start the car the wheel turns to the right by itself. Before adjustment it went all the way to the right lock (pretty quick) and pushed on the lock constantly. Now after adjustment it turns slowly right only a little.

I am not centering the wheel. What I am trying to solve is when I start the car the wheel turns to the right by itself. Before adjustment it went all the way to the right lock (pretty quick) and pushed on the lock constantly. Now after adjustment it turns slowly right only a little.
Ok, have you run completely out of adjustment?

I believe so. I mean it moves so very little that its hard to tell, but I kept tapping away at it and it doesn't move or change anymore.

Next step?
I would make 100% sure. Did you try loosening the bolts just a little more? Once you determine you are out of adjustment, I would be perhaps looking at a replacement gear box.

I'll give it another shot, but when I loosened them more, the fluid came squirting out very quickly and made a total mess.

Would you happen to know if I should tap it towards the firewall or towards the grille to change the wheels from turning right?

-
Back