73+ brake swap

-

1967DartGT

Reaction score
I read through some of the other posts on the swap and I still have a couple of questions.

I grabbed an 8.25 rear end (drum brakes), a front suspension (disc brakes), and proportioning valve from a 73 duster to put on my 67 dart. The dart has manual drum brakes, and the duster had power brakes. Can I run the discs without a brake booster (I'd like to stay manual if I can)? What master cylinder will I need? Which proportioning valve do I need?

Use the 73 perportion valve and master cylinder. Did you grab the drive shaft from the donor ? speedo gear ?

I did grab the drive shaft but not the speedo gear. I'll be changing gears anyway. I'll need to get a 73+ master cylinder. Can I run manual disc brakes?

Yep, manual disc brakes are fine. I'm not sure there is a big difference between the master cylinders for power brakes and manual brakes, probably is though. Just ask for 73 manual disc brakes master cylinder when inquiring.

I did grab the drive shaft but not the speedo gear. I'll be changing gears anyway. I'll need to get a 73+ master cylinder. Can I run manual disc brakes?

Go to the parts store and order a master cylinder for an 80's M body. It's a small aluminum unit and will give you a bit more space as well as a weight savings.

Use the late model aluminum master cylinder. They are two bolt units so you need to buy an adapter from Mancini Racing. Manual brakes work fine, especially if you run the larger 11.75 rotors.

-
Back