73+ Caliper install

-
Ok, so how does this look? Mostly loose bolts everywhere but just wanted to make sure it was right. There is no way the 73 hoses I bought are going to work, the extreme pull it will take when turning left will either break something or loosen something. May I ask again what hoses you guys are using with rear mount 73 caliper on a 71?

caliper1.jpg

caliper2.jpg

caliper3.jpg

Awesome thanks. Found an old thread from Dr Diff saying the best combo for rear mount is 69 camaro hoses and 80 Diplomat calipers. Shocking that none are in stock up here. Canada sucks for parts!

Awesome thanks. Found an old thread from Dr Diff saying the best combo for rear mount is 69 camaro hoses and 80 Diplomat calipers. Shocking that none are in stock up here. Canada sucks for parts!
IF my memory serves ( and I've seen too much to remember everything ), there is a way to use the 73 lines you have. If you switch the calipers left and right the line will be at top and bleeder will be at the bottom. To bleed the calipers you'll remove them from the mount and lay them upside on top of the mount with bleeder up. Let them free bleed the air out, or pull the pads and put C clamps on them to pressure bleed, close bleeders, roll them over and mount them.

IF my memory serves ( and I've seen too much to remember everything ), there is a way to use the 73 lines you have. If you switch the calipers left and right the line will be at top and bleeder will be at the bottom. To bleed the calipers you'll remove them from the mount and lay them upside on top of the mount with bleeder up. Let them free bleed the air out, or pull the pads and put C clamps on them to pressure bleed, close bleeders, roll them over and mount them.
Might work but why? Buy the right hoses and be done with it.

Napa has the Camaro hoses in stock, so to satisfy my 'need it now' problem I will grab those and pay the premium. Diplomat calipers are hard to find. Would have to order from Rockauto or Amazon, the only two places on the planet that i can find them at in stock. So I will see how this works out, if I don't like the routing I will order the Diplomat calipers. Did Mopar not change to metric banjo bolts on the newer stuff like GM did? Seems the Diplomat caliper takes the same 7/16-20 as the 73 Duster ones

Might work but why? Buy the right hoses and be done with it.
My why? It's all about the next owner of the vehicle. They need a hose for 73 disc brakes... order that and it works. They need a left side caliper...order that and it works ( they need only to figure out how to bleed it ). We are building Frankensteins of these 50+ year old vehicles. If you'll sell it to whoever, Tell them "good luck with it". If you'll leave it to a family member, there are ways to make tomorrow easier on them. I have made some wiring and other changes in my 67 A-body. Every change has been documented and stored in that car that now belongs to my grand daughter. I'm just different I guess. I'm not a purist but when I see a vehicle for sale and description states multiple aftermarket brand names ( Edelbrock, Fitek, MSD, on and on ) it aint for me. I couldn't leave her with a 1967 Plymouth that needed Chevrolet Camaro disc brake hoses. OK, I could document that too, so she knows what parts to order. Wherever I can un-complicate... I do.

So it’s wiser for the next owner to deal with a caliper with bleeders at the bottom? I’m outta here.

-
Back