73 Charcoal canister to 1406 carb

-

73Charger318

Member Rt 66 Mopar Club
Reaction score
So I've read some old posts on this and still a bit confused as to the best way to do this.

1. The fuel tank line will stay connected to the 1/4 inch metal line coming up from gas tank.

2. The purge line can run to the drivers side manifold vacuum or i guess to any manifold vacuum source. I'll be using the left side ported vacuum for the distributor.

3. Most confusing is the carb bowl line since the 1406 doesn't have a connection for it. Just cap it off?

Any comments and suggestions greatly appreciated!

I would use the ported vacuum line. Just get a vacuum tee and connect it. That way it should only pull fumes in when the car is at part throttle.

There are two options, I think, for the carb bowl line. What I've done with my Street Demon is connect it to the brake booster port on the carb. If you don't have a brake booster on your car, then you can get a hose barb fitting to go on that part of the carb (there's a 1/4" npt pipe plug on the back of the Edelbrock for this). The other option is to tee it into the PCV line, but you'll want to use a fuel resistant tee for that.

The carb bowl port, the port on top of the carb goes to the canister. The purge line off the canister gets "T'd" into the bowl line.
The power brake hose and PVC should remain unspliced. The brake hose line can get fuel in it and that would be bad for the diaphragm & the PVC connects to where there is oil. I leave the possible contamination of it all out, though it is unlikely to happen.

The carburetor bowl vent line will go to the air cleaner if you want it correct, since the carburetor has no other float bowl provisions, other than what's at the very top of the carburetor. I would try to hook the canister up correctly if you have it all. It will actually pick up a few MPG with it installed.

The carburetor bowl vent line will go to the air cleaner if you want it correct, since the carburetor has no other float bowl provisions, other than what's at the very top of the carburetor. I would try to hook the canister up correctly if you have it all. It will actually pick up a few MPG with it installed.

Some one actually realizes this,I'm shocked...

So I should hook mine up to the air cleaner instead of the back of the carb? I'd have to look at how to get a fitting on the air cleaner.

The carb bowl port, the port on top of the carb goes to the canister. The purge line off the canister gets "T'd" into the bowl line.
The power brake hose and PVC should remain unspliced. The brake hose line can get fuel in it and that would be bad for the diaphragm & the PVC connects to where there is oil. I leave the possible contamination of it all out, though it is unlikely to happen.

Sounds good, but I don't have a carb bowl port on my carb. That would be a 1400, i have a 1406.

Hey Rod. Yes that makes sense since the 1406 I understand self vents through the air cleaner. I was told since it does I could just cap off the bowl vent line and just connect the purge line. I'm a bit concerned with T'ing that line with the ported vacuum that also connects to the vacuum advance like Nuke said but it does make sense to only want it to pull fumes at part throttle. Would you do the purge line like that?

Could you explain how you could properly hook that carb bowl line to an Edelbrock 1223 air cleaner?? I will be using the back of the carb for brakes and don't want to T this line with the PCV line.

That air cleaner comes with a nipple to put on the base. It is actually for the crankcase evaporative system, but you could use it for the canister. If you really want it right, you could get a second nipple and use it for the canister with the original for the crankcase evap.

It would not hurt a thing in the world to run a tee from the ported vacuum port to both the distributor and canister. You may need to readjust your vacuum advance, but that's very simple.

That air cleaner comes with a nipple to put on the base. It is actually for the crankcase evaporative system, but you could use it for the canister. If you really want it right, you could get a second nipple and use it for the canister with the original for the crankcase evap.

It would not hurt a thing in the world to run a tee from the ported vacuum port to both the distributor and canister. You may need to readjust your vacuum advance, but that's very simple.

Actually mine didn't come with the nipple but that gave me a good reason to get a free return back to Amazon when I found out Edelbrock is giving these air cleaners away with the purchase of a carb through the end of April. So I've ordered my free air cleaner!

I wasn't going to get the 1205 PVC connection because honestly I didn't understand why you would need it. Aren't you connecting the pcv to the front of the carb? But now maybe I will get this part if I can connect the canister correctly by using it. Why would someone need this for crankcase ventilation?

The crankcase vent IS PART of the PCV system. Without it, the PCV system is not complete. You should have both on a street driven engine.

The crankcase vent IS PART of the PCV system. Without it, the PCV system is not complete. You should have both on a street driven engine.

Ok, I think I get what your talking about now. I was talking about just the line coming off the pcv valve. Yes on the other side I did have a breather with a nipple and a hose running to the air cleaner in my old set up. I had planned on an edelbrock valve cover breather without the nipple since I had no where to run the hose. Your saying I should get the one with the nipple and run the hose to the air cleaner and connect with this 1205 part to complete the system? If I do that then the only way to connect the canister bowl vent line would be to get a second connection? Thanks for all the help, never done any set up like this before and want to get it done right!

-
Back