73 Dart Sport 340 Headers

-
Reaction score
Hey Guys....need some advice.
Back story: 73 Dart Sport with 340 and a 727 transmission. Pulled the 727 and have an A833 complete 4-speed conversion kit new in boxes from Passon Performance sitting in my garage. Always wanted a 4-speed, owned car 17yrs, cant seem to get the car right. Always had my dad around for help but no longer. Previous 2 sets of headers were cheap and either leaked or scraped ground. Oil filter out and huge starter off, no idea which headers to get this time around. Willing to spend more than last two times. Any suggestions? Don't really want to run steering linkage through them if possible.

More help.....someone told me I should change gears in rear end too, Dana rear end but not sure what is in it or what to change to?

Sorry if these questions are for other threads....was also told to put traction bars on it, do I need to?

It has air shocks on it now that leak and my tires do hit fender wells when driving. Get rid of air shocks?

Thanks guys, Tony

340 Dart Sport.jpg

I just bought a set of Doug's D453-R headers. Those along with TTI seem to be the preferred headers among our ranks. However, I don't know if they work with a four speed so someone else will have to chime in. The reviews say they do, but modification to the Z-Bar is a must. Whatever that means.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dou-d453-r
I didn't pay $477 either. They have them at Autozone for $439 and the 20% discount code is "March20" if you buy them online, so it was $351 shipped to my door.

Hey Guys....need some advice.
Back story: 73 Dart Sport with 340 and a 727 transmission. Pulled the 727 and have an A833 complete 4-speed conversion kit new in boxes from Passon Performance sitting in my garage. Always wanted a 4-speed, owned car 17yrs, cant seem to get the car right. Always had my dad around for help but no longer. Previous 2 sets of headers were cheap and either leaked or scraped ground. Oil filter out and huge starter off, no idea which headers to get this time around. Willing to spend more than last two times. Any suggestions? Don't really want to run steering linkage through them if possible.

More help.....someone told me I should change gears in rear end too, Dana rear end but not sure what is in it or what to change to?

Sorry if these questions are for other threads....was also told to put traction bars on it, do I need to?

It has air shocks on it now that leak and my tires do hit fender wells when driving. Get rid of air shocks?

Thanks guys, Tony

View attachment 1715027172
You don't need traction bars on a mopar a pinion snubber is what you need .

I just bought a set of Doug's D453-R headers. Those along with TTI seem to be the preferred headers among our ranks. However, I don't know if they work with a four speed so someone else will have to chime in. The reviews say they do, but modification to the Z-Bar is a must. Whatever that means.
I didn't pay $477 either. They have them at Autozone for $439 and the 20% discount code is "March20" if you buy them online, so it was $351 shipped to my door.
Good info, but the 453R is a bare steel uncoated header, the 453 is coated....just throwing that out there...

if you tires are hitting the quarters a little the call doctor diff get the 2 inch lifted springs then what ever shock you prefer I went with kyb's get rid of those air shocks. adjustable pinion snubber and no traction bars

Thanks fellas, think I will go with Doug's Headers 453 and try to find lifted springs. Pics to follow, I'm sure I'll need help with more stuff.

im sorry its general spring where I got my springs with 2 inch lift part number 33-909

im sorry its general spring where I got my springs with 2 inch lift part number 33-909
On the general spring site right now. Did you have to order "Rear Eye Uses HB891 (2 required per eye - order 4 for a pair of springs or 8 for spring and frame bushings) or V-100 shackle kit (1 per side)", with it?

Of course D453 not in stock but price with code is $502. customer support available tomorrow, I can wait another day.

You should slow down a little. You don't have to change the springs! It gives the car a non-stock look, and it's expensive. What size tires do you have? Are they too big? Also, what is your rim size? The header advice they gave you is good, but wait for others to chime in. Pinion snubber also good advice

You should slow down a little. You don't have to change the springs! It gives the car a non-stock look, and it's expensive. What size tires do you have? Are they too big? Also, what is your rim size? The header advice they gave you is good, but wait for others to chime in. Pinion snubber also good advice
haven't ordered anything yet, just want it done right this time so I can wait. 295/50 R15's on it now.

I have 245-60-15's on Weld Wheels on my duster. They fill the wells and look great. Do you have the stock 8 1/4 rear end? Try to search some prior threads and look at different wheel and tire combos. I once had over sized n-50 tires that stuck too far out with air shocks. But the wheels I have now are nice and wide plus they fit great. I try to load you a pic later.

340 DartSport. If you go to a couple car shows (mopar if possible) you can check out other cars and write down different wheel tire combo's that you like that fit right. You can get a tire that is more narrow that hooks up great. By the way, nice car

I have 245-60-15's on Weld Wheels on my duster. They fill the wells and look great. Do you have the stock 8 1/4 rear end? Try to search some prior threads and look at different wheel and tire combos. I once had over sized n-50 tires that stuck too far out with air shocks. But the wheels I have now are nice and wide plus they fit great. I try to load you a pic later.
yep, past threads are helping for a lot of my q's. Just hoping to get the car right, been ripped off over the years. Too much $, never enjoyed car w/o something going wrong. Yes 8 1/4 rear end. Thanks again.

Good info, but the 453R is a bare steel uncoated header, the 453 is coated....just throwing that out there...

I should have said something about coating too. I'll probably be sorry I didn't go that route. Especially at a hundred fifty bucks less than Summit.

I am putting tti on mine I got the driver side on and they fit great but very tight the passenger side is next they say lift the front in up up and away to get it in.

Just checked and my order was cancelled. Apparently they no longer carry this item, it is unavailable, or discontinued. I'm swinging by Autozone on my way to work today to find out WTF.

>I put TTIs into my 68 Barracuda small block, with an A833 and stock bellhousing . The TTIs slide in above the steering and sit very high. I have not been able to bash them on anything in 17 years, over 125,000 miles. Yes, they are tight. You will not enjoy setting the clutch departure. But everything cleared on mine. Well almost. IIRC the pitman arm wanted to rub a pipe. I had to get creative.During the install I found it easiest to slide the T-bars out, Remove the oil filter, and the starter. The monster Mopar starter does fit in there, but getting it in/out is no treat; get the mini. It seems to last forever. These headers do not require the 90* oil filter adapter, so I ditched it. I only ever RnR'ed those headers once or twice with the engine in, and don't recall any trouble. And I have both power steering and power brakes.
>As to those 295s; they fit in my stock wheelhouses, but I had to narrow the rear and move the springs inboard just a tad. I think Blunblu says 275s are the biggest that fit in the stock Duster tubs. It will be a trick to make those stick. You will need the SS springs, and some lowering blocks for the street, plus some specialty shocks and probably an adjustable snubber. I'm not a fan of the ride with those springs, nor the nose-bleed attitude. I like my rear springs nearly flat. But I did sacrifice a bit of straight-line-hook to get a stable platform to plow around the turns with.
>3.55s are the 4-speed-streeters gear of choice, with an LSD mandatory;But I gear my car to max out on power at 62 mph, in second gear. For you depending on your combo, that might be 4.30s ;which suck on the highway. 65=3472rpm.
If you got the 3.09low version, then 3.55s to 3.23s are pretty good. A stock type engine will even be happy with less.In the case of 3.23s,these will get you 65=2608.
> I ran some custom traction bars in the 70s with Polyglass tires. They did pretty good.Won a lot of races with those.I'm not a fan of the universal bolt-onto-the-spring ones.

-
Back