73 Duster 318

-

ChaoticBeatz

Super Beginner
Reaction score
I'm new here, obviously. I've a 73 Duster 318 that I'm goin to hook up slightly. I just want about 370hp out of the 318. I'm changing the entire interior and currently workin on the suspension. Keepin it mainly stock.

Budget? Main usage? Track or street etc. What style of car you wanna build?Pro street,pro tour,weekend track warrior,trailer queen?

Not enough info bud...:-D

You're going to have to hook it up to something, to get that kind of power out of a 318! Seriously, though. I dig the '73 Duster. I have one, and incidently it is in California right now. Post up a pic.

Your gonna need new pistons for some squeeezzzzee.

Welcome aboard.

My budget for the engine is $1600 for parts. I'll be doin the work myself. I'm not a beginner, however I'm not highly experienced. Its goin to be my daily driver and maybe takin it to the track every now and then. The engine is sitting stock. I have a Weian manifold and Holley 1850 carb that I'll install in a week or so. I threw a glass pack on there because I needed some extra noise. I'm still unsure of the exhaust I want.

I need tires too. Anybody have a Duster with 18's? or Whats the biggest tire I can throw on the back without modification?

I've owned Toyotas before this and still do. This way different from my MR-2 and SC300.

Just my .02. Not really worth it with a 318. A 360 would be better suited for the hp you're trying to get to.

360 will give more bottom end and mid range torque and will make 370 easier.

318 can make 400 hp no problem with some mods. KB167 pistons are about the cheapest and will yeild at least 9:1,more like 10:1 depending on cc of combustion chamber etc.

Cam should be in the .480 lift range but try to stay under 230 duration for the street.

You dont have to change pistons to get 9.5:1,just the heads.

Magnums or 302 casting heads will do it. Magnums if you cant port and 302's if you can. Oh and RHS heads if you want a more serious head with great potentail. OU812 here sells them

If I change the pistons and heads, we'll it make a significant difference in power? or just a waste of money with this engine.

Engines need a series of mods to respond well. I would say that changing the pistons,heads,cam and going to 4 bbl headers duals etc will yeild an easy 400 hp.The 360 will give more by merit of it's extra 42 cubes and longer stroke.

There have been several magazine builds,both with aftermarket heads,magnums,302's etc.

I'll start lookin for cams and heads. As for headers, I've been thinking about getting the Hooker 5901HKR. Only because this is my "Daily Driver" and its the only header i've found to be compatible with the power steering. I also have A/C too because its needed out here in Palm Springs during the summer. (115 average temp) I've been thinkin about goin with an electric water pump to make up for some of the lost hp when the A/C is on.

I'll start lookin for cams and heads. As for headers, I've been thinking about getting the Hooker 5901HKR. Only because this is my "Daily Driver" and its the only header i've found to be compatible with the power steering. I also have A/C too because its needed out here in Palm Springs during the summer. (115 average temp) I've been thinkin about goin with an electric water pump to make up for some of the lost hp when the A/C is on.

No electric wp for a street car. Wont cool enough. Go with a hi flow mechanical and instead of the elec pump get elec fans. They will free up about the same power and actually cool better.

Dig threw the wreckers with a tape measure and you will find a complete alum rad WITH fans for less than $100.

Thanks for that tip. That also save me some cash. I'll start with that first. Its already in the mid 90's over here.

I'm in the same boat, coming from imports and race bikes to American muscle for the first time. My 74 Swinger has a strong running 318 in it and I have a 360 that needs a total rebuild, it's going to be a strip car so the 318 isnt really an option but I plan on starting with it anyway because I can use the intake up as well as the headers I plan to use on the 360 on the 318. Im leaving it all stock other than that except for nos. I will destroy the 318 for sure but it's just to get started, go out and meet people at the track and have some fun in street legals. If I was going to keep it as a daily driver I would just leave it as is, it's a light car and a light engine, without doing anything too major you could get it to about 230hp and it would haul serious ***, I think for your budget you may just want to scale down your hp expectations a little and look at your weight , a bumper swap will give you serious gains, sheds about 100lbs. anyway I'm just figuring it out myself and this is pretty much other peoples two cents that I have regurgitated.

If you have A/C, you really need to be careful with the cam you choose. Going too wild on the cam will definitely affect the performance of the compressor--it did on my 318. About the headers, well they will hang low on the driver's side. For a daily driver they are a major pain in the arse. I hear the TTI header's have a lot more ground clearance on the driver's side, but they are expensive. Good luck with your build.

$1600 is a pretty tight budget for parts, hope that doesn't include machine shop labor. It costs the same to build a 360 as a 318, or maybe a little less. By the time you have the engine rebuilt, installed with supporting hardware, figure triple that as a minimum.

The carb and intake you have are fine for a mild 318, but won't support 370hp. So here's my advice... Bolt them on, and add a mild cam at the same time. You'll NEED to replace the cam sprocket soon if it is the original (they're nylon and fail with age). Since you'll have the intake off, and the timing cover off, the cam swap will be easy. Drive it like this while you build a 360, upgrade the rear axle, install a real exhaust system and such.

There is a lot of info on this site, the "Search" button up top is your friend. Welcome aboard.

I appreciate all the input. Maybe I'll hook this one up to around 300hp and if I can get more then great. I don't have to worry about any shop. My old R.O.P. high school has everything I need. Are the heads really worth changing for that small amount of hp?

I'm new here as well kinda nice seeing another duster guy.... I got a 76 Gold Duster with a 225 Slant 6.... I wanna get past the "Freddy Flintstone" issue before I decide where to go with it. but good luck man hope to see pics soon....

What's the difference between the 318's from the 70's and the 318's from the 80's? Someone is selling an engine in better condition than mine from an 89 Diplomat.

Grab it! It's a roller cam block so get it right now! Plus it may have the 302 casting head. It's a gem of a 318. You should be sure to confirm the year of the block,pull a valve cover and look for "302" at the end of a casting #.Usually on the top of a runner hump.

Howdy all new guys!

Don't forget about the stroker kits. I believe you can get a 318 kit off eBay for about $1800 for everything and it would turn your 318 into a 390. A 360 would become a 408. You'd still need to pay for machine work, but save up a little more and get stroked (so to speak).

Just something to think about.

-
Back