73 Duster 340 4sp resto

-
Looks Fantastic-I'm sure you know that steering column didn't come like that. No ribbed section. I have a factory Tuff Wheel on my Duster. Just in case you wanted that info.

Looks Fantastic-I'm sure you know that steering column didn't come like that. No ribbed section. I have a factory Tuff Wheel on my Duster. Just in case you wanted that info.
Thanks, yes I know the factory Tuff wheel looks different but every time I tried to buy an original can they were crazy money! Most Ford and Chevy guys don`t notice!
download.png

The Grant steering wheels are only a fraction of the cost of a decent repop Tuff wheel
download73.png
and don`t look too bad, the edges are pretty sharp around the spokes and the grip gets a little sticky if the sun bakes on it all day but for 100 bucks they work.

While I was working on the 73 I came across a 71 Duster for sale on Craigslist a few miles away from home so I figured I`d take a look for the heck of it. The car was solid with paper work showing it was a California car most of it`s life. Someone had put a little mud in the bottom of the quarters and painted it with a wagner but the rest of the car was all there. I was so impressed with the lack of rust, (wow was this car in so much better shape than the 73, sorry baby) I had to buy it! It had perfect floors, perfect trunk, doors, fenders, frame, I couldn`t believe how little rust it had ! Just a little /6 auto plain Jane but I still had to have it! I slapped on some rally wheels, registered the car and drove it around while I worked on the 73.
71dusterpic (1).jpg
71dusterpic.jpg

Nice! I picked up one from California too. No rust on mine also. You can't believe they are still out there.

Nice! I picked up one from California too. No rust on mine also. You can't believe they are still out there.
Ya, i`m really looking forward to restoring the 71 too. I couldn`t leave it alone, I pulled the 7 1/4 rear out of it and tossed in a 8 1/4 sure grip and added 4:10 gears. Then I yanked out the old drum brakes up front and put the manual disc brake, big ball joint set up out of the 75 Dart parts car I have (that poor Dart has given up so many parts). Then replaced every front end part and bushing. Ok, thats enough about the 71, back to the 73.

Finished up the new interior, put the side stripes and tail panel decals on, new bumpers, and new mirrors. Painted the grill and polished the grill trim. Installed the headlight assy.
download79.png
download76.png
download77.png
download78.png

When I pulled the car apart I decided to keep the original numbers matching engine and trans and save it for a day when I might convert the Duster back to its original factory state (that will be way down the road, if ever, like I said, I can never sell the car!). I had been siting on a 1971 340 marine block ( no vin #s stamped and a plug in the hole the dipstick normally would be ) std bore. It was just a bare block with main caps but it was a good foundation for a stroked 416. I sent the block down the street to be tanked, magged, bored .030 over and honed. I clearanced the block for the rod bolts to clear, opened up the oil galley passages ( thanks Guitar Jones for all the oiling mods ) and drilled new 1/8 inch holes in the cam bearings and repositioned them to reduce oil flow to the heads. Opened up and blended the rear main oil passage with the new oil pump, drilled additional holes in the oil filter plate and opened up the oil filter adapter bolt to 1/2 inch. I called Muscle Motors in Lansing Michigan and ordered their 416 "race" stroker kit.
block1.JPG

You get a nice brand new antenna for it too. Just did mine with new reproduction parts and gasket.It came out super nice. They produce everything and you can get a one piece mast.

You get a nice brand new antenna for it too. Just did mine with new reproduction parts and gasket.It came out super nice. They produce everything and you can get a one piece mast.
Thanks, I did buy a new antenna base kit. The mast cleaned up fine! Not much to listen too on AM these days!

I Followed a recipe that should produce at least 450-475ish HP. Here is a parts breakdown of the parts I used in the 416 build up.
ICON FORGED PISTONS / IC745+.070
AKERLY/CHILDS EXTREAM FILE FIT PISTON RINGS / 9771-75
EAGLE FORGED 4" CRANKSHAFT / 434040006123
RPM INTERNATIONAL H-BEAM RODS 632G / 6123H and ARP 7/16 ROD BOLTS
CLEVITE 77 MAIN BEARINGS / MS-963 V
CLEVITE 77 ROD BEARINGS / CB-481 HN
ARP MAIN STUDS / 140-5402
MELLING OIL PUMP / M-72HV
MOPAR PERFORMANCE OIL PUMP DRIVE SHAFT / P3690715
MILODON 8QT OIL PAN AND PICK UP / 30935
MILODON WINDAGE TRAY / 32230
PRO SPORT VIBRATION DAMPER / 34277
FELPRO OIL PAN GASKET / OS 34409 R (MAGNUM PAN GASKET) I cut the gasket to fit.
That pretty much buttoned up the lower end.

Pic of the rear main cap with the oil passage opened up to match the oil pump and the main stud under oil pump
download82.png
shortened to clear the HV oil pump.

Thanks, yes I know the factory Tuff wheel looks different but every time I tried to buy an original can they were crazy money! Most Ford and Chevy guys don`t notice!View attachment 1714994414
After all the money you have spent on that amazing restoration that tuff wheel adapter is really bothering me......hahaha......I got one on ebay and its not a re pop for $75.00....It would be well worth the small investment. JMHO

After all the money you have spent on that amazing restoration that tuff wheel adapter is really bothering me......hahaha......I got one on ebay and its not a re pop for $75.00....It would be well worth the small investment. JMHO
Thanks, I might just take you up on it!

Heres the parts breakdown for the upper end I used.
CYLINDER HEADS / MOPAR PERFORMANCE P5153849 ALUMINUM , SPARK PLUGS / NGK BKR5E
HEAD GASKETS / FELPRO 1008
ROCKER ARMS HUGHES ALUMINUM 1.5 ROLLER / HUG15023
ROCKER SHAFT HOLD DOWNS HUGHES / HUG 7440
PUSH RODS / COMP CAMS 7692-16
LIFTERS-HYDRAULIC / LUNATI 71977-16
CAMSHAFT / LUNATI 10200705 INTAKE .533 DUR @ .050 242 EXHAUST .552 DUR @ .050 252
TIMING CHAIN / MANCINI RACING MRE1262
CAM BEARINGS / DURABOND #PD-16
INTAKE / EDELBROCK AIR GAP 7576
INTAKE GASKETS / FELPRO 1213
CARB / QUICK FUEL TECH SQ-850
DISTRIBUTOR / MOPAR PERFORMANCE P3690430
COIL / MSD BLASTER 8207
IGNITION / MSD 6AL-2 6421
HEADERS / HOOKER 5901-3HKR
COLLECTORS / HOOKER 11040 HKR
HEADER GASKETS / PERCY`S SEAL-4-GOOD 66037
FUEL PUMP / CARTER M6902
I might have forgot a few small things but thats most of it.

I should've said I bought one on EBAY....I'm not selling one....sorry for the misunderstanding. Just saying they are out there
Yup, i`ve bid on a few on ebay over the last couple years but they always seem to bring crazy money, but i`ll keep looking.

-
Back