73 Duster 340 4sp resto

-
I decided to go with overdrive so I set the original a833 trans aside and hunted down a few a833 overdrive trannys.

I tracked down a nice A833OD trany and OD bellhousing and fork, ordered a new billet flywheel from 440 Source, McLeod super street pro clutch kit and a new 3-4 shift rod for the original Hurst shifter.

416 is in ! Gotta lean out the 850, burns my eyes!
download85.png
download86.png
download86.png

Put a couple coats of clear on the tank.
It's hard to describe the feel of the clutch, it's firm but you don't really get the same feel of control like you do with the BB.

I just saw your thread this morning and read it from start to present. You have done a wonderful job on getting the '73 back on the road. Are you a hobbyist or do you have bodywork experience?
Your car looks beautiful. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done.

I just saw your thread this morning and read it from start to present. You have done a wonderful job on getting the '73 back on the road. Are you a hobbyist or do you have bodywork experience?
Thh
Thanks for the kind words! Just a hobbyist, I had not done any bodywork in over 30 years, but restoring a car in that bad a shape completely by myself really teaches you a ton. I know i probably should have restored it back to it`s original factory build, but i can always do that later if these A bodies start to climb in value one day! Cant wait to start on the 71 Duster and I have a sister car to the 73, its a 73 340 automatic with A/C, I bought it for my wife (but she probably wont drive it, no power windows :) Now if i could only hit the lottery so i can buy some more parts!
download83.png

RIBOAT- What did you use for a spring set up on your Diaphram Clutch set up?

RIBOAT- What did you use for a spring set up on your Diaphram Clutch set up?
I used the stock bellhousing to fork spring, removed the over center spring and replaced it with a very light weight spring to help keep the pedal up all the way.

Riboat if you have time maybe you can post a pick of your spring- I installed a Diaphram also and I'm trying to get some ideas for the spring

Tough to get a pic of the spring i used in place of the over center spring under the dash but i just measured the length of the original over center spring and went to the hardware store and grabbed one that was close to the same length and way lower in tension, you dont need a lot of tension just enough to keep the pedal all the way up. The hardware store has lots of springs to choose from, just grab a couple different ones and try them out. Hope this helps.

Wicked awesome Duster! glad I could help. I thought the overcenter spring helped pull the pedal down?

Wicked awesome Duster! glad I could help. I thought the overcenter spring helped pull the pedal down?
Thanks! Ya, i`m not really sure about how the over center spring helps pull the pedal down, i think there is some black magic in how that works! But the small spring on the clutch fork isn`t strong enough to keep the clutch pedal all the way up against the bump stop, it had about an inch of slop at the top that I hated so installing the soft spring in place of the over center spring holds the pedal up high and has no effect on how the original spring worked.

-
Back