73 Duster 340

-

yhzrt

Reaction score
.wysiwyg { PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; MARGIN: 5px 10px 10px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; FONT: 10pt verdana, geneva, lucida, 'lucida grande', arial, helvetica, sans-serif; BACKGROUND: #f5f5ff; COLOR: #000000; PADDING-TOP: 0px } .wysiwyg A:link { COLOR: #22229c } .wysiwyg_alink { COLOR: #22229c } .wysiwyg A:visited { COLOR: #22229c } .wysiwyg_avisited { COLOR: #22229c } .wysiwyg A:hover { COLOR: #ff4400 } .wysiwyg A:active { COLOR: #ff4400 } .wysiwyg_ahover { COLOR: #ff4400 } P { MARGIN: 0px } .inlineimg { VERTICAL-ALIGN: middle } Hey guys. My name is Matt, I'm in Nova Scotia and I am currently restoring a 73 Duster 340 with my Dad. I registered on this site a few years ago and only recently have really been on daily checking things out and see you're guys restorations and I must say there is some really good work out there being done. I decided today to share with you what I'm into. It's a real H code car, auto, power steering, brakes (disc up front), consol with buckets and rear window defrost. B5 blue car with white interior. Car came complete, just needed body work done. Someone did some crappy work at some point and we just didn't want to put it back on the road like that. We also have a low milage rust free original 88 Diplomat 318 as well.

Any constructive criticism and or thoughts would be appreciated.

Here are some pictures, enjoy!

Picture 003.jpg

Picture 229.jpg

Picture 227.jpg

Picture 339.jpg

Picture 358.jpg

IMG_9214.jpg

IMG_9296.jpg

IMG_9297.jpg

IMG_9355.jpg

IMG_9379.jpg

Thanks guys. Yes it going back to original. Its a slow and frustrating process but it will all be worth it in the end.

Nice! Somewhat similar to my hunk of burning haus.. :) I am jealous, yours came considerably better outfitted. Mine came with the cardboard boxes hood option.. Cant wait to see progress reports man! Rent a kerosene or diesel steam cleaner for a couple days, that will strip off everything on the undercarriage, messy as heck, but it will be super clean and ready for the next step.. Just a suggestion

Thanks guys. Yes it going back to original. Its a slow and frustrating process but it will all be worth it in the end.

Not bad...Looks like a worthy car.

Good luck, keep us posted!

Thanks guys. Not sure yet what I'm going to do with underneath. Need to get the trunk and quarters taken care of first. The car has been VERY well undercoated at one point and had some bad patches in the rear. I don't have a big garage, so I can't rotisserie it (though I do have access to one) Not going for a show car, it will definatly be driven, just put back to original. The only things that I might change are the steering wheel (I like the Tuft wheel), intake and might keep the headers. Appreciate the support and will keep you updated.

Yes it is slow. Me and my dad have been working on a #'s 340 car for nearly 6 years. Really pushing to finnish this year. Yours looks to be in better shape then what ours was however. I'll be watching your progress.

Its been a while since I've posted anything. Lots has happened since I started this thread. Here are some updates!

Attachments

• Driver's Side Quarter Panel 009.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 322
  • Driver's Side Quarter Panel 011.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 311
  • Driver's Side Quarter Panel 016.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 318
  • Duster Trunk 006.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 309
  • Duster Trunk 013.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 336
  • Duster Trunk 009.jpg
    156.7 KB · Views: 318
  • Duster Quarter Panel 001.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 316
  • Duster Quarter Panel 004.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 311
Thanks guys! Not going to be working on it very much until the new year. Passenger side quarter is next and a floor pan or two. Thats pretty much all of the panels that need replacing. Hoping to have it on the road next fall. It will most likely be in primer, but everything else will be done.

Great progress so far, if I can offer some advice to potentially save you a big headache down the road. Before you prime over the AMD coating, remove as much as possible so your primer has bare metal as a base. I asked a professional about using the coating as a base and this was his answer." do you really want to trust a five thousand paint job to a twelve year old boy in Taiwan making fifty cents a hour who applied the base coating." That did it for me every panel has been blasted since then. nothing worse than a lifting or bubbles 6 months down the road.

Great progress so far, if I can offer some advice to potentially save you a big headache down the road. Before you prime over the AMD coating, remove as much as possible so your primer has bare metal as a base. I asked a professional about using the coating as a base and this was his answer." do you really want to trust a five thousand paint job to a twelve year old boy in Taiwan making fifty cents a hour who applied the base coating." That did it for me every panel has been blasted since then. nothing worse than a lifting or bubbles 6 months down the road.

Thanks! I appreciate the advice and its a very good point!
I've seen your thread also and your car looks great!

Matt, is this rotisserie rent-able ? I want one for maybe two weeks..

Grassy

-
Back