73 Duster Power Seats!

-

jimmyray

Reaction score
I am very excited about the latest upgrade to the 73 Duster. After inspiration from this site, and my friend who is doing a modern hemi resto-mod into a 72 Challenger, I started looking for seats that would replace the original, worn buckets.

After dropping near $800 to get the seats in my 66 Cuda reworked to like new (foam, covers and labor), and still being stuck with the same relatively uncomfortable seats, I decided to check into replacing the Duster seats instead of restoring them. I started doing research on likely candidates for the Duster, and got several recommendations from FABO. After extensive research (eBay picture looking, LOL), I identified seats from a '03 Jaguar X-type as similar in color and size, but fully electric. The ones I found were white in color, and had a similar stitch pattern as the Duster. However, $660 shipped was a bit much.

A local salvage yard had a set of gray ones, and I went and took several measurements to check form and fit. Unfortunately, the yard wanted $200 for the pair, in spite of the deployed airbag on the drivers side. Oh, and it would be ~700 to recover them in vinyl!
So I searched for a set of seats via the junkyard lookup website http://car-part.com and found a white set locally. Went and viewed them, they were in good shape, but filthy, as they had stored the driveshaft in the car between the seats. I offered them $200, they took the offer, and I picked them up the next day. I got them home, and cleaned them with “Scrubbing Bubbles” which is dangerous for the leather, but cleaned them up beyond my expectations. I treated the leather afterwards, and all is well.

The install went even easier than I dreamed. I drilled 1 hole in the driver’s side front right bracket, and 2 holes in the passenger side front brackets. For the rears, which perfectly straddled the rearward crossbody hump for original brackets, I simply drilled 2 new holes on each side. The driver’s side literally fell right into place, all I needed was some spacers on the rear brackets to even up the seat. The passenger side required some reshaping of the floorpan with a sledge hammer, but this was limited. And it fell into place as well.

No welding, no custom brackets, no nothing! I did spend $12 for bolts, washers and spacers, but other than that… I used the original pigtail for the power (constant on), after I remover the other plugs (side impact Airbag, seat belt pre-tensioner, seat belt fasten switch, seat weight detector). I also removed the original seat belt buckle assembly from the seats.

As it turns out, the seat pattern and color was even closer than I hoped! They sit about 1.5” higher than original, but I still have 3” to the headliner (I’m 5’ 10”). Power adjustability ROCKS!!!

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_27 Feb. 06 18.54.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 942
  • ScreenHunter_21 Feb. 06 18.49.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 852
  • ScreenHunter_23 Feb. 06 18.50.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 879
  • ScreenHunter_25 Feb. 06 18.50.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 834
  • ScreenHunter_26 Feb. 06 18.51.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 848
No, but front mount holes are the same, the rear holes are drilled in the footwell of the backseat passenger floorboard, about 2.5" rearward of the original holes.

They are not heated, but both are power. They do move forward and tilt to allow rear seat access, you just have to be patient. :)

Great Job!
I know what you mean about uncomfortable seats. I have a 2008 mega cab, and on long trips (6 hours plus) both the driver and passenger seats suck!
I bought a set of 2009 Cadillac seats with power everything (hate mixing GM and Dodge) off E bay.
Much Nicer.

Yup, just goes to show what you can do if you look around. I scored some Volvo seats for my ride, all electric, driver memory, heated, the whole nine, $100. IMO miles ahead of a restoration.

Very nice! I think the power seats make a HUGE difference! Looks awesome!

I think I am going to look for a set! how hard was it getting the tracks to bolt in?

Yup, just goes to show what you can do if you look around. I scored some Volvo seats for my ride, all electric, driver memory, heated, the whole nine, $100. IMO miles ahead of a restoration.

The seats in my '74 came from a Volvo too. Power, Heated, extremely Sporty in appearence and pretty comfy too. They came from a 1975 Volvo 164E that I was parting out at the time, and I have another pair (need to be reupholstered though) for my '71 Demon.

IIRC I had to do a couple mods to the floor in my '74 (because it was a bench seat car originally) but the seats fit in almost like they were made for the car.

I just wish I had another pair of Dodge D50 Bucket Seats (like the ones in my D50), I'd tear the power/heated seats out of the '74 in a heartbeat. The D50 Bucket Seats have to be one the most comfortable on the planet (in my opinion), and they're light too.

Eagle Talon/Plymouth Laser seats look (emphasis on Look) similar, but they're nowhere near as comfy as the old D50 seats. Those are pretty light too, I have a pair of them for my '71 Duster.

The only downside to the D50 Seats, they don't recline. They have one fixed position (but can be folded down/swung forward for access to the back seat or in the case of the original truck...the tiny little space behind the seats). I thought about tracking down a set for my car, and retrofitting the latch/recline portion of the seat from a Talon/Laser to the D50 Buckets.

I think I am going to look for a set! how hard was it getting the tracks to bolt in?

The drivers side practically fell into place. I drlled 1 hole in the inside front bracket, and the 2 fron brackets bolted through the original holes.

The back brackets fell into the hollow just behind the ridge that supported the rear bracket for the original seats. I drill 2 holes in the floor, and they bolted in.

The Passenger side is similar, but I had to "massage" a few areas in the floor to get the bracket to fit in. The original brackets were about 1" narrower on the passebger side vs. the drivers side, so I had to compensate. 45 seconds with a 2 lb sledge and it was good to go!

pics of seat undersides

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_31 Feb. 07 22.33.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 652
  • ScreenHunter_32 Feb. 07 22.33.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 645
  • ScreenHunter_30 Feb. 07 22.29.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 641
  • ScreenHunter_29 Feb. 07 22.29.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 664
Other Pics

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_34 Feb. 07 22.43.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 652
  • ScreenHunter_35 Feb. 07 22.44.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 619
do these fold foward to get into the back seat? or do you have to just push the seat up? did you hook up the power seats?

Jimmyray,
Just wanted to say Thankyou, Thankyou, Thankyou........you provided a wealth of info and saved me alot of time finding seats for my car. Much appreciated and thanks for sharing!

You are most welcome, good to give back to those who have helped me immensely. BTW, here are a couple of pics of the seats in the forward tilt position, same access to rear seat as originals.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_04 Feb. 11 20.43.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 604
  • ScreenHunter_03 Feb. 11 20.43.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 581
  • ScreenHunter_02 Feb. 11 20.43.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 594
I am getting carried away with the pictures and explanation of what I did. This is the last batch. I think.

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_05 Feb. 11 20.45.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 582
  • ScreenHunter_06 Feb. 11 20.46.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 571
  • ScreenHunter_07 Feb. 11 20.46.jpg
    108 KB · Views: 576
  • ScreenHunter_08 Feb. 11 20.46.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 574
  • ScreenHunter_12 Feb. 11 21.03.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 570
  • ScreenHunter_11 Feb. 11 20.50.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 585
  • ScreenHunter_10 Feb. 11 20.48.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 582
  • ScreenHunter_13 Feb. 11 21.14.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 561
no no these pics are great! keep them up I will need them when I find my set!

-
Back